GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2007-10 > 1192991152

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Diana, Princess Of Wales & Continuing Mindless Celebrity Worship
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:25:52 +0100

Yep...

Except you are referring to Queen Victoria's GRANDSON, Albert Victor
Christian [1864-1892], Duke of Clarence and Avondale ---- not her son,
"Bertie", later Edward VII, who was Albert's father.

Herewith Some Of The Scoop:

Enjoy!

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Acceded: 24 May 1890. Duke of Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Betrothed to Mary
of Teck, who later married George V.

He proposed to her at Luton Hoo on 3 Dec 1891 and she accepted; they were
engaged from that date. The wedding was to have been on 27 Feb 1892.
"Prince Eddy" --- as he was known within the family --- became ill in early
January and died on 14 Jan 1892 of pneumonia. Marriage to Annie Crook is
only reputed, not confirmed.

One theory, by Knight, has it that the Duke of Clarence was actually Jack
the Ripper. Jack, the pseudonymous perpetrator, committed the notorious
murders of at least seven women, all prostitutes, in, or near,
Whitechapel --- in London's East End --- from 7 August to 10 November 1888.

"Regarding HRH The Duke of Clarence and the Jack the Ripper controversy:

1. There are five accepted canonical victims of the Ripper:

A. Mary Ann Nichols, killed 31 August, 1888.

B. Annie Chapman, killed 9 September, 1888.

C. Elizabeth Stride, killed 30 September, 1888.

D. Catherine Eddowes, also killed 30 September, 1888.

E. Mary Anne Kelly, killed 9 November, 1888.

During these times, the Duke of Clarence was at the following locations:

29 August-7 September 1888 he stayed with Viscount Downe at Danby Lodge,
Grosmont, Yorkshire.

7-10 September, 1888 he was at the Cavalry Barracks in York with his
regiment.

27-30 September, 1888 he was at Abergeldie, Scotland staying with the Royal
Family at Balmoral.

2-12 November, 1888 he was with his parents the Prince and Princess of Wales
at Sandringham.

Nevertheless, he has featured in several recent Ripper books.

The story of his marriage and fathering a bastard child with Annie Crook has
been proven as a falsehood; he also is alleged to feature in several other
Ripper explanations, whether using Dr. William Gull as the actual killer, a
combination of the Duke's friends, his former tutor (and alleged lover)
James Kenneth Stephen, or even a conspiracy to hide the involvement of his
father the Prince of Wales with Mary Kelly, the last victim. Take your
pick! They're all nonsense.

My sources for Ripper information are varied. The best basic reference
available in the United States is "Jack the Ripper A-Z" from which the dates
of the Duke of Clarence's whereabouts in the autumn of 1888 are drawn,
quoting from published court circulars.

Mention is also made of these locations and the Duke's whereabouts on these
dates in Michael Harrison's "Clarence," in "The Ripper Legacy" by Martin
Howells and Keith Skinner, in "The Complete Jack the Ripper" by Donald
Rumbelow, and in "Prince Eddy and the Homosexual Underworld" by Theo
Aronsen.

The body of literature on the Ripper is vast; in the last five years, at
least four books have posited that the Royal Family were somehow involved.

The most amusing is "The Ripper and the Royals," in which it is claimed not
only that the Duke of Clarence fathered a bastard child through his illegal
marriage to a Catholic girl, but that his death was faked, that he died
imprisoned at Glamis Castle, of all places, in the 1930s, that he was sent
there by arrangement with the Bowes-Lyon family who were then promised that
one of their daughters would be allowed to marry into the Royal Family, and
even that George V was the product of an illicit affair between Alexandra
and Alexander Alexandrovich, the future Emperor Alexander III of Russia."

Greg King 8 Nov 1997