GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2007-10 > 1193379471

Subject: Re: Zaida's background [was Re: Zaida in new Encyclopaedia of Islam?]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:17:51 -0700

On Oct 25, 10:30 am, wrote:
> <<In a message dated 10/25/2007 3:50:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>
> writes:
>
> As my previous message presents Reilly's scenario, none of
> the statements are my own assertions, but are paraphrases
> of what Reilly himself says; thus (p. 96), "Since 1103, when
> the boy was about ten...." >>
>
> ----------------------
> The deeper we get into this the more flimsy it seems. Which probably
> explains why I had had Sancho as the son of one of the other women in the first
> place.

I don't quite get the problem. We have direct testimony of who his
mother was and we know when she came north, giving a firm limit on the
earliest he could have been born. We also can place reasonable limits
on the latest he was born given the situation surrounding his death.
There are medieval monarchs for whom we cannot be as precise.

taf

This thread: