GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2008-01 > 1199259867


From: Douglas Richardson <>
Subject: Joan de Clinton, widow of John de Montfort, John de Clinton, and Henry ap Griffith
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 23:44:27 -0800 (PST)
References: <871ff485-6f06-4a87-b5c7-478a36e9312f@l6g2000prm.googlegroups.com>


Dear Newsgroup ~

The following weblink shows that Lady Joan Gryffyn was granted a
license for her oratory at Stockton, Warwickshire on 12 November 1373
by Robert de Stretton, Bishop of Lichfield.

http://books.google.com/books?id=deoGAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA63&dq=%22Joanna+Gryffyn%22

This lady was none other than Joan de Clinton, widow successively of
Sir John de Montfort (living 1361), Sir John de Sutton (died 1369/70),
and Sir Henry ap Griffith (died 1372). Lady Joan evidently held this
manor in dower of her third marriage to Sir Henry ap Griffith. The
manor was held by Sir Henry's family as indicated by VCH Warwick,
volume 6, sub Stockton:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=57134&strquery=Stockton

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah


This thread: