GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2008-02 > 1203462634

From: wjc <>
Subject: Wadard or Rainald Wadard?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:10:34 -0800 (PST)

Some time ago, I added the family of Wadard, a Knight who took part in
the Conquest, to my 'tree'.

At the time, I had access to both of Keats- Rohan's excellent
"Domesday People" and "Domesday Descendants", and used information
shown in:

DP, pp. 350, 359
DD, pp. 368, 1140

According to my notes from the time, the relationship of the family
members was:

1. Wadard
1.1 Rainald Wadard, his son
1.1.1 Walchelin Radard, Rainald's son.
1.1.1.1 Denise, Walchelin's daughter. Married Hugh de Chesney
1.1.1.2 Helewise, Walchelin's daughter.

Now, going through articles in British History on Line, I encountered
the following:

In 1086 Odo of Bayeux and Miles Crispin shared the lordship of
SOMERTON. Odo held 9 hides, while Miles held two small estates of 1
hide each. (fn. 42) The latter had been held before the Conquest by
Brictric and Ketel, a Dane, but in 1086 Rainald Wadard or Waard was
the undertenant of all three estates. Wadard was closely associated
with Odo of Bayeux--he appears in the Bayeux tapestry--and was the
latter's tenant in several neighbouring Oxfordshire villages besides
holding lands of him in five other counties.