GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2008-02 > 1203660267

From: Merilyn Pedrick <>
Subject: Re: Sir John Swynford's kinsman, John Darcy
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:34:27 +1030

I've just finished reading the biography of Katheryn Swynford by Alison
Weir, which I've thoroughly enjoyed.
On page 266 there is a reference to your query: "On 19 May 1403, sixteen
days after Katherine had died, the Priory was leased to Canon Richard of
Chesterfield, but he withdrew from the agreement on 29 June 'on account
of fear of the Queens'; it seems that Joan of Navarre, with the King's
consent, had promised the house to Elizabeth Grey, the widow of Philip,
Lord Darcy, who lived in a house nearby. Katherine had probably known
her, given their close proximity and the fact that Elizabeth Grey's
daughter-in-law, Margaret Grey, the present Lady Darcy, later became Sir
Thomas Swynford's second wife; Elizabeth Grey could well have been a
friend of Katherine's, indeed, Katherine may even have asked Queen Joan
to arrange for Lady Darcy to lease the priory after her death. Be this
as it may, the King did grant it to her.[Lincoln Cathedral Dean and
Chapter Muniments; Jones, Major, Varley and Johnson; Weir: English
Aristocratic Pedigrees]"
Thomas Swynford's first wife Jane Crophill died between 1416 and 1421.
On page 275 we see "Before July 1421, Sir Thomas Swynford had married a
second time, his bride being Margaret Grey, daughter of Henry, Lord Grey
de Wilton, and widow of John, Baron Darcy. [Excerpta Historica] There
was one son of this marriage, William Swynford, to whom Cardinal
Beaufort left L400 and some silver plate in his will. Sir Thomas died
on 2 April 1432, and was probably buried in Kettlethorpe Church,
although there is no proof of that, since the church has long been
rebuilt and there are no records of the mediaeval memorials. His widow,
Margaret, survived until 1454. Because he had enfeoffed his estates to
trustees, he died effectively landless".
Hope this makes sense.
Best wishes
Merilyn Pedrick