GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2008-03 > 1206655429

From: "Tony Hoskins" <>
Subject: Re: Royal ancestry and the next president of USA
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:03:49 -0800

"When, in fact, the exact opposite is clearly the case. I can't think
of any writer of great genius who _had_ royal descents (with the
possible exception of Percy Shelley [although I don't know much about
his ancestry] and Byron)."

Well, some great writers, poets did have royal lines - Robert Lowell,
Algernon Swinburne, Henry Fielding, W. Somerset Maugham, Tolstoy (if you
will) and a number of others come to mind - but that there is therefore
necessarily any correlation between "class" (as imperfectly delineated
through numbers of royal ascents) and talent is is to my mind an
absurdity.

Anthony Hoskins
History, Genealogy and Archives Librarian
Sonoma County Archivist
Sonoma County History and Genealogy Library
3rd and E Streets
Santa Rosa, California 95404

707/545-0831, ext. 562

This thread: