GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2008-09 > 1221845090

From: Doug <>
Subject: Re: Anne Greystoke/Thomas Ashton marriage
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:24:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 7:16 am, Kat <> wrote:
> Hello,
>   Am a fairly new researcher and came across this group by chance.  Am
> not a professional genealogist as many of you seem to be, or have a
> degree is historical studies, but do someday aspire to accomplish it.
> I am in search of proof of Anne Greystoke(in some places I have seen
> her name as Anna and the variation to Greystock or de Greystoke) and
> her relation to Ralph Greystoke and Catherine Clifford.  I found her
> ancestry in .
>
> John S Wurts, Magna Charta, Hedgefield, Germantown, PA;  Brookfield
> Publishing Company 1942, 732.
> --
> and the dates for her birth and Ralph and Catherines death do not seem
> to line up correctly.
>
> First of all from what I have seen of her she was born sometime before
> 1471, which would make it seem as if there is a generation missing in
> between her and Ralph and Catherine Greystoke, and am at a loss to
> find her true parents.
>
> Here is the passage from the Magna Charta by John Wurts this is in
> regards to Sir William Boothe and his marriage to Margaret Ashton:
>
> "His first wife was Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Asheton of Ashton-
> under-Lyne, co. Lancaster, and his wife Anne, daughter of Ralph, Lord
> Greystock."
>
> My only thought is that Ralph Greystock (1353) did have a son Ralph,
> but at this time I have no lineage for him, short of his name, so this
> could be her father and the connection I've been searching for.
>
> John Greystoke who married Elizabeth Ferrers also had a son Ralph who
> was born about 1408, however this would probably still make that set
> too old to be her parents.
>
> Any suggestions as to where I would look to make sure I trace this
> line properly would be wonderful.
>
> Thank you,
> Kathy

See James Croston, County Families of Lancashire and Cheshire, John
Heywood, London, 1887, pps 166-189. Harvey et al., Vis. of the North
3 (Surtees Soc. 144) (1930): 12 (Ashton Pedigree). VCH Lancashire,
Vol. IV, (1911), pps 338-347. VCH Lancashire, Vol. IV, (1911), pps
338-347.

I believe Thomas Ashton's first wife and mother of Margaret was Agnes
Harington not an Anne Greystoke.

Doug Smith

This thread: