GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-02 > 1233856559

From: "John P. Ravilious" <>
Subject: Maria Stewart, illegitimate daughter of Robert II, King of Scots
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:55:59 -0800 (PST)

Maria Stewart, illegitimate daughter of Robert II, King of Scots

Thursday, 5 February, 2009

Hello All,

In 2005, I had conjectured that the wife of Sir John de
Danielston
was an illegitimate daughter of Robert II, king of Scots
(1371-1390).
The results of this research were subsequently published in The
Scottish Genealogist in 2007, but at that time the name of Sir John’s
wife was still unknown [1].

Evidence of her name has been found in the Register of the
Bishopric
of Glasgow. A charter of Sir John de Danielston giving an annuity of
10 marks out of his lands of Finlayston, Danielston and Kilmoloog,
was
dated at Finlayston, 2 Jan 1376/77. This charter names his wife as
Maria: the first part of the text shows the gift was made in part
“pro anima mea et pro anima uxoris mee Marie…” [2].

The charter in question identifies Maria (or Mary as you may
prefer)
as the wife of Sir John de Danielston, and makes no reference or
allusion to any other previous spouse. The grant is made for the
souls
of Sir John’s father and mother, his wife Maria, “and also their
predecessors and also the souls of their children both living and
dead..” [ ‘pro animabus patris et matris mee et pro anima mea et pro
anima uxoris mee Marie ac predecessorum nostrorum ac etiam pro
animabus
liberorum nostrorum tam vivorum quam defunctorum…’ ]. It is
reasonable
to assume from the above that Maria was the sole wife (at that date)
of
Sir John de Danielston. This is more certain given the inclusion of
only the children of Sir John and Maria [“liberorum nostrorum”] in
this gift: the indication is that there were no children, living or
dead, by another spouse.

The name of Maria Stewart’s mother is uncertain, although she may
well have been Isabella (le) Botiller (“Boucellier”), associated with
Robert Stewart (later Robert II) prior to his marriage to Eliza beth
Mure. The following chart, taken from the earlier SGM thread, has
been updated to reflect Maria Stewart’s name.

1) Marjory Bruce = Walter Stewart = 2) Isabel Graham
I I_____________________
I I
* NN (Isabella ~ Robert II = 1) Elizabeth Sir James = Egidia
Boucellier ?) I d. 1390 I Mure Lindsay I Stewart
I I I
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _I _____I__________ I____
I I I I
Maria = Sir John Robert III Robert Sir John = Isabel
Stewart I Danielston d. 1406 Duke of Maxwell I Lindsay
I I Albany I
I I I
Sir Robert de I__________ I
Danielston I I
____I________________________ I ____________ I____
I I I I
I I I I
Margaret = Sir William x Mary/Mariota Elizabeth = Sir Robert
Danielston I de Cunyngham Stewart Danielston I de Maxwell
I =1) George V
I Douglas
Sir Robert Cunyngham =2) James
I Kennedy
V I I
V V

Cheers,

John

NOTES

[1] John P. Ravilious, "SP Addition: Sir Robert de Danielston,
grandson of Robert II of Scots," SGM, 1 December 2005.
John P. Ravilious, ‘ "Nephew of the Duke": the Danielstons of
that Ilk, and a hitherto unknown daughter of Robert II,
King of Scots,’ The Scottish Genealogist, Vol. LIV, No. 3,
September 2007, pp. 134-137.

[2] Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis: Munimenta Ecclesie
Metropolitane Glasguensis a sede restaurata seculo
Inuente XII ad Reformatam Religionem (Edinburgh: printed
for the Maitland Club, 1843), I:289-292

URL for access via Google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=008JAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA289&dq=danyelfton&ei=sSKLSfi_C4zaMdeP2bAF

This thread: