GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-02 > 1235450347

Subject: Re: New Light on Juliane, wife of William Dannet, of Leicester, bastard daughter of Henry, Duke of Lancaster
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:39:07 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 23, 5:27 pm, wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> I just had an e-mail from Colin Dannatt who reports the following:
>
> "Report by W G Hunt TD BA FCA 1/4/03 Windsor Herald of Arms, College
> of Arms, London, Funeral Certificate. (I10.47: also 112.32)
>
> The funeral certificate of Anne daughter of Thomas Elingbridge and
> widow of John Danett has been recorded. She had issue: Leonard, son
> and heir, John second son, Gerard third son, Thomas, fourth son, Jane
> married to Walter Hendley of Kent, Mary second daughter married to
> William Jephson of co. Hants, and died at her house Thornfrith in the
> parish of Merstam, co. Surrey, on 17 May 1577. No arms for Danett are
> given. (I10.47: also recorded at I13.32)."  END OF QUOTE.
>
> He further adds:
>
> "All of Sir John Dannet's children are mentioned in his mother's will
> (Mary Belknap will proved 1558), but no mention of a Dorothy, regards
> Colin."
>
> If Colin has correctly stated the facts, it would appear that Sir John
> Dannet was NOT the father of Dorothy, wife of John Gifford, of
> Hillesden, Buckinghamshire.  Princes William and Harry would thus lose
> their descent by way of the Gifford family from Juliane Dannet,  the
> bastard daughter of Henry of Lancaster, Duke of Lancaster.   Even so,
> perhaps there exists other evidence which proves the Gifford-Dannet
> marriage.
>
> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

The identification of Dorothy, wife of John Gifford of Hillesden, is
from the work of the noted genealogist George Andrews Moriarty -
specifically, in this case, in a Gifford article in his occasional
series on "Genealogical Research in England" published in NEHGR and
reprinted by the NEHGS in series 1, vol. 1 of its "English Origins"
series of reprints from NEHGR.

Moriarty says that Dorothy was dau. of SIR John Dannett of Dannett's
Hall. His source is perhaps the HSP publication of the visitations of
Oxfordshire (HSP vol. 5) which he cites for the children of Dorothy
and John Gifford. However, this visitation pedigree (of the Giffords)
calls her dau. of John, not Sir John. And a closer examination of the
chronology involved suggests that Dorothy could not have been a dau.
of Sir John and Anne Elingbridge [or Ellinbridge], because her husband
John Gifford was more likely of the generation of Sir John's parents
Gerard Dannett [or Dannet] and Mary Belknap.

According to the two Dannett/Dannet visitation pedigrees mentioned
earlier in this thread, Gerard Dannet's parents were John Dannet and
Mary de la Hay. If the Oxon visitation is correct in its
identification of Dorothy as a Dannet, it seems very possible, if not
probable, that her father was this John Dannet rather than his
grandson Sir John Dannet.

Colin Dannatt has kindly provided evidence regarding the children of
Sir John Dannet. Perhaps he also has evidence regarding the children
of Sir John's grandfather John which could resolve any question
regarding Dorothy's parentage and firm up the descent of the Gifford
family (and their modern descendants) from the bastard daughter of
Henry of Lancaster.

This thread: