Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-05 > 1241591763

From: Renia <>
Subject: Re: Armiger means Esquire
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 09:36:03 +0300

> On May 6, 12:00 am, Renia <> wrote:
> < Armiger is not a style of address. However, it is a descriptive term
> < used in parish registers, deeds, public school records, etc, to show
> the
> < status of the person.
> Do you mean the Latin word or the English word?

The word armiger has long been part of the English language though it is
Latin in origin. It is not a style of address.

By the English word, I presume you mean "Esquire", which is a word which
is French in origin. This is also not a style of address.

As we have been arguing, these two words do not have the same meaning.

This thread: