GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-05 > 1243645064

From: wjhonson <>
Subject: Re: Fw: Fw: Simon Linde of New England was really Simon van der Linde
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

On May 29, 5:50 pm, "Leo" <> wrote:

> I know there are English speaking people (even in America?) who like to use
> English equivalents of first names, and it appears you think that the Dutch
> are eager to have Dutch equivalents for first names, but guess what? The
> Dutch don't.
>
> With best wishes
> Leo van de Pas
> Canberra, Australia

So you're saying that "Enoch" van der Linde, was named for... nobody?
That the father what? Rolled a dice and picked the letters one by one
from a cypher wheel?

It should be clear that the Dutch, or at least this Dutchman, named
his child from the Bible. What is not clear yet, because you are the
most stubborn Dutch Australian in the Universe, it what the name is,
in the Dutch Bible itself. Whether it is there written as Enoch or
something else like Joogleznoop. We don't know. I can't read Dutch,
you can.

Will "You must comply" Johnson

This thread: