GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-06 > 1245031072

From: MoonMullins <>
Subject: Re: Wiki-oriented website for medieval genealogy
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:57:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 14, 5:08 pm, wrote:
> In a message dated 6/14/2009 5:05:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>
> writes:
> > Beyond this discussion group, does anyone know of a website for
> > collaborative research to break through the brick walls in medieval
> > genealogy?  What I have in mind is wiki-oriented site that is
> > searchable by the individual's name, along with corresponding web-
> > pages with all the known information about that individual.
>
> > Seems to me such a site, if it does not already exist, would
> > facilitate more progress in medieval genealogy.>>
> > ----------------------
>
> Such an idea is perfectly feasible at knol.google.com if you want to start
> a page on any particular person.  The more famous people probably should be
> writen up at wikipedia itself, but the more obscure can still be put on Knol
> which does not have a notability distinction.  That is, you can write on
> anybody.
>
> Will Johnson
>
> **************
> Choose the home loan that saves you the most $$$. Agents
> available at ditech.com
> (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221374924x1201371434/aol?red...
> 1%2F)

Thanks. I like the wiki-format very much - exactly what I have in
mind. However it appears that each page stands alone. What is needed
to really build participation, in my opinion, is a portal, or search
page, through which all "brick-walls" are linked, so that one can
search for all existing profiles (and by default, know when a new
profile is needed), along with an index page when there are multiple
matches on a particular name, which in turn would include birth/death
dates, etc., to easily distinguish one from another.

This thread: