GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-06 > 1245265482

From: Wanda Thacker <>
Subject: Re: Frank de Bohun
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:04:42 -0700 (PDT)

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

William Shakespeare

As informative as all of this information is concerning name origins is, I believe I will just place a note in my files concerning all of the different opinions on just what Mr. De Bohun's actual name was and call it a day.

I just watched a news report a few days ago about how high the percentage of second generation Mexican American children in the U.S. is and the tendency of the parents to give their children "American" names in order to help them assimilate.

People have always had the option to give their children unique names in the hopes that their child will grow to be a unique individual. Perhaps, this is what his parents did.  If we speculate on the names of everyone we research, we will spend much time treading water instead of getting anything done.

It is entirely possible that the true explanation of the different variations on Frank's name lies in the ethnicity of the person/persons who were writing it down on any given occasion.
A French monk might write it down as a Latinized French name, or an Italian monk might write it down as a Latinized Italian name. A man from Provence might write it down as etc.

I hope my descendants are more interested in me as a person than they are in the origin of my name, which just happens to be the name of a woman my mother knew briefly before I was born.  If my father had won the argument, I would have  been named after a queen, Victoria Regina, who is of no direct relation to me other than a cousin a million times removed(we have ancestors in common, but my father didn't know that).

Wanda Thacker

This thread: