Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-09 > 1252109818

Subject: Re: Society Of Genealogists (London)
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 20:16:58 -0400

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 02:33:18 +0300, Renia <>
wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:

> wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:09:52 EDT, wrote in
>> soc.genealogy.medieval:
>>> How is it a "charity" ?
>> (quoting)
>> The Society is a registered charity (No. 233701) and a company limited
>> by guarantee (No.115703)
>>> Not all associations are charities.
>> It is a company, not an association. The name can be misleading i.e.
>> it is not like a typical genealogical society and their homepage
>> doesn't compare to major US societies for instances. Priority is
>> given to things for sale.
>No, it is not. Priority is given to usage of the library.
>> My former ISP called "members" its clients, so members doesn't mean
>> there is a true association, and "society of" neither.
>Members of the Society are not clients, except in the context of using
>the library.
>We are members and it is a society of genealogists who wish to use the
>considerable library in order to rigorously study genealogy.

Compare their homepage with those large US genealogical societies.

Search in their databases
New databases
Welcome/about us

You will find goods for sale only in the 3rd column, and I guess
they are the editors.

About us
What NGS can do for you
Research trip to SLC
Their magazine
Their databases and blogs

Become a member and receive FTM for free
Book they sell
More books they sell
Event with a large "buy on-line" link
Article about commercial site
Article about commercial site

NEHGS and NGS are genealogical societies. SOG looks like a commercial
society and in their own "about us" page, they describe themselves as
a company, not as an association.

A lot of commercial societies are useful. This doesn't change the
fact they are commercial societies. You didn't even check their
homepage to write the priority of their homepage is their library.
Except the tabs in the top area and one lecture, the homepage has
nothing on their library. So, how can you say the priority of the
homepage is their library ? Maybe that of your point of view, maybe
it is the only usage you made, but from an external point of view,
this is definitely not the priority of their homepage.

This thread: