GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-09 > 1252123003

From: Christine Czarnecki <>
Subject: Re: Society Of Genealogists (London)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

Your bones picked with the professional genealogists aside, I would like to bring up the issue you raised about lines going through acknowledged bastards.

Certainly as you well know, a marriage license guarantees that a child born within wedlock is automatically thought to be a child of the married couple.  Of course, we all know that this is not necessarily the truth.  What is it called, "a paternity event?"

I would expect that a man, then or now, would not acknowlege a bastard unless he knew that the child was his.  Perhaps he kept his mistress with him night and day or safely sequestered away between visits.  In any regard, I do not think it more likely a man of noble or royal birth would acknowlege a child he in any way suspected was not his.  His word would hold more weight in any regard.

Robert "le Diable," Duke of Normandy, had nothing to gain by acknowleging his two children by the daughter of a local tanner.  Not exactly an adventageous match, and he didn't even bother to marry her.  But there we get William the Conqueror and his sister, Adela of Normandy.

Would you not say he certainly thought he was their father?  Is there more you need to believe this?