GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2009-11 > 1258115692

From: <>
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Halcro in Orkney
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:34:52 +0000

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:11:33 +0000, <> wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:59:43 -0800 (PST), "M.Sjostrom" <>
>wrote:
>

>>--- On Mon, 11/9/09, <> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't believe that Hugh Sr died *in*
>>> 1648.  I believe someone has assumed that, because of
>>> this document was Barbara appears that year in some claim.
>>>

>>> As to who this Barbara is exactly, we should remember that
>>> in 1648, there were two dead Hugh's not one.  Hugh
>>> Sr left a will dated 1644, and had a son Hugh Halcro of
>>> Akeris who predeceased him, dying in 1637 and himself having
>>> a son also Hugh who was his grandfather's heir and a
>>> minor in 1648 when this Barbara appears calling herself the
>>> sister of the deceased Hugh.  But which Hugh?  The
>>> one who left a will dated 1644? Or the one who died in 1637
>>> his son.
>>>

>>> She could be the aunt of the baby Hugh, or the
>>> great-aunt.  Either is possible.
>>>

>>> Will
>>>

>>that is precisely the alternative nr 1 I mentioned in this this post already yesterday:
>>http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2009-11/1257718824
>>that there existed two different Barbara Halcroes, aunt and niece to one another
>>http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2009-11/1257701868
>>

>Barbara in 1648 was almost certainly the great-aunt of under-age
>Hugh.His aunt Barbara had a marriage contract with Robert Stewart
>younger of Brough in 1638.Her husband would have been mentioned
>in 1648 if it had been aunt Barbara.
>A further complication has arisen.In sheriff court records dated 1615
>there is a ref to Janet Halcro or Sinclair and in 1624 there is a ref
>to Janet Halcro,wife of William Sinclair of Toab.The 1615 entry might
>refer to the Janet Halcro(daughter of Magnus Halcrow of Brough),who
>was married to William Sinclair of Ethay as a second husband.Her first
>husband was Rany Elphingston.Her husband,William, was dead by
>16/11/1624I shall look at the sheriff court records later in the week
I have now looked at the two documents which mention a William
Sinclair as the husband of a Janet Halcro..The 1615 document refers
to William Sinclair of Eday and the 1624 document also almost
certainly does.However,I have asked for a ruling on this as it effects
the indexing of the document.
We are therefore left with Barbara Halcro.She does not have to be a
Barbara Halcro of the Halcro of Halcro family.Clouston in REO lists
Halcro families who had families although all their names were not
recorded.eg
Halcros of Stove
Descendants of a James Halcro and Janet Cragy
Robert Halcro of Cava
Patrick Halcro of Wyre

This thread: