GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2010-02 > 1265345485

From: lostcopper <>
Subject: Re: Fw: Sources
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:51:25 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 2, 11:36 am, Michael o Hearn <>
wrote:

> I recall reading about prehistoric Caucasian remains dug up in the Pacific Northwest.  There were apparently several diverse waves of settlement across the Bering straight.  My residence is in the Chumash area on the West Coast, adjacent to the Channel Islands, where early settlement almost assuredly took place by boat from the Northern regions.

Because of media hype, there is all this talk about "Caucasian"
remains that are 10,000 years old in Washington state. However,
Kennewick Man was never called "Caucasian" or :"European" by the
investigators. The skull was unlike those of the Native Americans in
the area, but most closely resembled, according to the researchers,
the Ainu people. The Ainu people, contrary to popular belief, are not
related to Caucasians. Like other Asians, they are descended from the
"Palaeo-Siberians". If Kennewick Man was actually related to the Ainu,
this would not be surprising; there is evidence that Ainu people &
Northwest Coast people did, in fact, have some sort of contact.

Regarding the Chumash, there is no evidence connecting them to the
Northwest Coast. They are speakers of a Penutian language which is
virtually all in central California. The closest non-California
language to it is Mayan - points south, not north. I do not live too
far from the Chumash myself; they are around Santa Barbara, I am near
Yosemite.

That said, I do not disagree with your main point. I have only been
saying that oral traditions should not be thought of as automatically
less reliable than written ones; as you say, they are usually kept
alive for a different purpose. Bronwen

This thread: