GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2010-03 > 1269472275

Subject: Re: those Butlers again
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:12:49 EDT

In a message dated 3/24/2010 9:15:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> If Christian died before 1708, as her
> husband did, she would not have been mentioned in the battles over
> succession. I have chosen to accept the weight of the evidence showing
> Christian to be the daughter of William, 1st Bt. of Gartmore, & his
> legal wife Elizabeth Graham of Kinpont until such time as evidence
> more compelling than the above surfaces to show that this is not so.>>

I agree with other comments, that your conclusion is wrong.
If her full brother died s.p. then she even if dead would have been called
"co-heiress in her issue".
That's what "in her issue" means. That the claim descends to her own
children. It does not go extinct at her death UNLESS she also died s.p.
In which case your line is broken anyway.

Calling her daughter of William does not imply the baronet. There are
plenty of William Graham's to go around.

Will Johnson

This thread: