GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2010-08 > 1282496729

From: Douglas Richardson <>
Subject: King John's grandson, Bishop Roger de Meulan, and the Bishop'sSeacourt connection
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:05:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Newsgroup ~

In the course of my research for the forthcoming 2nd edition of
Plantagenet Ancestry, I've turned up good evidence which indicates
that King John had a hitherto unknown grandson, Roger de Meulan,
Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield. The connection between King John
and Bishop Roger de Meulan has been discussed in earlier posts here on
the newsgroup.

In more recent time, I've found additional evidence that Bishop Roger
de Meulan had an unknown sister, who was the wife of Sir William de
Seacourt, of Seacourt, Berkshire. I've copied below what information
I've collected regarding this sister and her two children, William (a
priest) and Denise (possibly wife of ____ le Poer or Poure).

The evidence which links Bishop Roger de Meulan to the Seacourt family
is a charter dated c.1282, by which Bishop Roger granted his nephew,
William de Seacourt, clerk, a house in the parish of All Saints,
Oxford. This charter is mentioned in the sources cited below.

The Seacourt family soon afterwards disappears from the records. The
Poure family is later found to be dealing with the Seacourt family
properties. My guess is that the Poure family descends from the
Bishop's niece, Denise de Seacourt. However, as far as I can tell,
the records do not appear to make the specific connection between the
Poure and Seacourt families.

+ + + + + + + + + +

1._____ DE MEULAN (female), married WILLIAM DE SEACOURT (or
SECKWORTH, SEUKEWORTH), Knt., of Seacourt, Berkshire, son and heir of
Robert de Seacourt (or Seckworth) (living 1208), of Seacourt,
Berkshire. They had one son, William (clerk) (living 1297), and one
daughter, Denise (living 1262) (possibly wife of _____ le Poer [or
Poure]). Sometime in the period, 1224–37, he gave the tithe of a
meadow in Seacourt, Berkshire held by Godstow Abbey to the church of
Seacourt, Berkshire. Sometime in the period, 1235–53, he gave the
nuns of Studley, Oxfordshire pasture for four oxen and one virgate of
land. SIR WILLIAM DE SEACOURT died before 1262.