GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2010-11 > 1289698058

From: "Peter Stewart" <>
Subject: Re: Agatha de Hommet
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:27:38 +1100

"Peter Stewart" <> wrote in message
news:ib9m11$123$1@news.eternal-september.org...

> "Bill Prokasy" <> wrote in message
>> Domesday Descendants, p. 522, states that Agatha de Hommet,
>> who married William de Fougeres, was the daughter of Richard
>> de Hommet, son of Robert de Hommet.
>>
>> In contrast, Complete Peerage, Vol III:168, has Agatha as the
>> daughter of William de Hommet (son of Richard), as does
>> English Baronies, Line 214A-27.
>>
>> Is DD in error, or have there been corrections to the earlier
>> information?
>
> This appears to be a mistake in DD - according to the later chronicle of
> Savigny, where the deaths of several seigneurs of Fougères are recorded,
> Agatha was the daughter of William of Le Hommet (entry for the death of
> her son Geoffrey, on 14 June 1212: "Obiit Gaufridus dominus Filgeriarum,
> filius Willelmi et Agathæ, filiæ Willelmi de Humeto, XVIII kal. julii.").

I checked this further, because it puzzled me that Keats-Rohan is not alone
in making Agatha a daughter rather than granddaughter of Richard du Hommet,
and consequently a sister rather than daughter of his son William.

Several other historians who have touched on this in recent years seem to
think her paternity important enough to mention, but not to verify. Opinion
is divided, but not as a matter of controversy since they don't appear to
have noticed the discrepancy - Nicholas Vincent [in 'Twyford under the
Bretons 1066-1250', *Nottingham Medieval Studies* 41 (1997)] and Jörg
Peltzer [in 'Portchester, les évêques d'Avranches et les Hommet
(1100-1230)', *Annales de Normandie* 56 (2006)] both agree with Keats-Rohan
in making Agatha the daughter of Richard, whereas Daniel Power [in 'Henry,
Duke of the Normans (1149/50-1189)', *Henry II: New Interpretations*, edited
by Christopher Harper-Bill & Nicholas Vincent (Woodbridge, 2007)] made her
the daughter of William; oddly, Frédéric Morvan [in 'Les seigneurs de
Fougères du milieu du XIIe au milieu du XIVe siècle', *Bulletin et mémoires
de la Société d'histoire et d'archéologie du pays de Fougères* 41 (2003)]
made her the daughter of someone who is not otherwise known to history, a
"Raoul du Hommet, qui était le beau-père de Guillaume de Fougères". None of
them cited evidence to prove the relationship.

I suspect that Keats-Rohan took her information from Vincent's 1997 article.
At any rate she clearly did not undertake careful research into the career
of Richard du Hommet - she says that he "first occurs at a composition
between Robert, earl of Gloucester, and the bishop of Bayeux at Devizes in
1146", but perhaps she means "first occurs as constable of Normandy..."
since he was named before this in a letter from Pope Innocent II, dated 18
June written in 1142 or 1143 [*Antiquus cartularius ecclesiæ Baiocensis
(Livre noir)*, edited by Victeur Bourrienne, 2 vols (Rouen & Paris,
1902-1903) vol. 1 pp. 241-2 no.195], ratifying the sentence passed on him
for interfering with possessions of the dioces of Bayeux. In the same entry
Keats-Rohan mistitled *Étude sur la baronnie et l'abbaye d'Aunay-sur-Odon*
and misnamed the author, Gaston Le Hardy, as "L. Harding".

The chronicle of Savigny was compiled well after Agatha's time, but using
records that were presumably contemporary. In any event it is at best sloppy
to retain dates of deaths, etc, given in this chronicle while contradicting
it about the name of her father. He was consistently given as William in the
literature from at least the early 18th century onwards, until Vincent's
1997 article as far as I can tell. The only direct evidence that I can find
that is independent of the chronicle is a charter in which William called
Agatha's son Geoffrey de Fougères his "nepos" - Vincent translated this as
"nephew", without dicsussing the point, but obviously the term could just as
well mean "grandson".

The chronology is not definitive but seems to support the probability that
Agatha was William's daughter, as recorded at Savigny, and not his sister.

Richard du Hommet had retired as a monk at Aunay a year and a half before
his death in 1181 according to Robert de Torigni. Since he was an adult by
1142/43 he was perhaps 60+ when he died. William occurs along with his
father as witness to an undated charter written between 1155 and 1165 [see
Round, *Calendar of Documents...*, p. 439 no. 1215], and he died not long
after 13 November 1205 when he joined (along with Agatha's husband Fulk
Paynel) in a notification issued at Rouen (ibid p. 476 no. 1318, see *Trésor
des chartes* vol. 1 p. 296 no. 785: "...et ego Fulco Paenel, et ego
Guillelmus de Homez"].

William's son Jordan was bishop of Lisieux from January 1202, so was
presumably born by 1172. Agatha was apparently not much, if at all, older.
She had two children by her first husband, who died on 7 June 1187, and at
least five by her second husband including a daughter Lucy (the name of
William's wife).

The appears to be no good reason to discredit the statement in the chronicle
of Savigny that she was William's daughter.

Peter Stewart

This thread: