GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2010-11 > 1290685764

From: John Watson <>
Subject: Re: Agatha de Hommet
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 03:49:24 -0800 (PST)
References: <mailman.10.1289240847.32641.gen-medieval@rootsweb.com><ib9m11$123$1@news.eternal-september.org><ibndug$ikq$1@news.eternal-september.org><00ead6a9-57e6-4a5a-8d9c-dcbc020cbd3b@fl7g2000vbb.googlegroups.com><ichre0$o48$1@news.eternal-september.org><ichv6q$5hm$1@news.eternal-september.org><e837d61b-b24e-4739-a0d1-f64591382f6a@x14g2000prb.googlegroups.com><icifho$809$2@news.eternal-september.org><5be12536-ac97-4648-9853-269866cbea1a@i10g2000prd.googlegroups.com><icjtma$es$1@news.eternal-september.org><icjv3b$6tm$1@news.eternal-september.org>

On Nov 25, 4:11 am, "Peter Stewart" <> wrote:
> "Peter Stewart" <> wrote in message

> > "xager8on" <> wrote in message
> >> Peter, thanks for the links and confirms what I had. Another question,
> >> which I have been unable to substantiate with sources. Jim Weber,
> >> having errors with "whose who" in the du Hommet family, has Williams
> >> wife as Lucy de Haye. Can be viewed at
> >>http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id=I....
>
> >> Unfortunately a number of websites show the same marriage but no
> >> supportive evidence to claim she is of the "de Haye" family. I have
> >> read a number of books, but there is nothing to persuade me that she
> >> is "de Haye" or "du Neubourg" based on facts.
>
> >> One thing to note in my research is that in the book Henry II: new
> >> intepretations, pg. 112, states in the footnote "Lucy, wife of William
> >> the constable (d. c1206), remains unidentified, but may have been a
> >> sister of Henry du Neubourg: see Cartularies of Southwick Priory, ii.
> >> 23 (iii. 72)".
>
> >> I have no library close enough to view Cartularies of Southwick
> >> Priory, ii. 23 (iii. 72).  Was Henry the son of Robert I du Neubourg?
> >> Is this enough to support her ancestry?
>
> > Not in my view - it's a donation to Southwick priory by Robert de
> > Neubourg, made ca 1190, "for his salvation and for the soul of his friend,
> > Lucy de Humetis, and for the souls of all his ancestors, kindred and
> > lords".
>
> > It does indicate that Lucy had died by the time of the charter, but not
> > necessarily her direct relationship to the donor's family.
>
> I should have added: Lucy was buried at Southwick priory and Robert de
> Neubourg was not the only patron to make a donation naming her - see part
> ii. p. 19 no. III 53, a donation by Ralph de Beaumont "for the souls of Lady
> Lucy de Humet' of pious memory, and of his father Nicholas, whose bodies are
> buried at Southwick; for the soul of Sir Richard de Humet', and for the
> salvation of himself and of all his lords and friends".
>
> Peter Stewart

Hi Peter,

There is a possibility that she was a daughter of Richard de la Haye.

At an inquisition into the manor of Dodinton by Clyve,
Northamptonshire held in 1293, it was stated that in the time of king
Richard the manor came into the hands of Richard de la Haye, after
whose death it descended to Nicholaa, Juliana and Isabel his
daughters. In the time of king John the whole manor came into the
hands of the said Nicholaa. The jurors stated that they had heard that
William Humet married the said Juliana and Gerard de Caunvile married
the said Nicholaa.
Calendar of Inquisitions Miscellaneous, Vol. 1, p. 460, no. 1644

Of course this is about 100 years after the event and memories might
be a bit hazy.

Regards,

John

This thread: