GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2011-02 > 1297975743

From: "Sholom Simon" <>
Subject: Ancestry of Beatrix de Braose/de Brewes (who m Hugh Shirley)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:49:03 -0500

I'm doing research for a friend, who turns out to be a descendant of
Edmund Hawes -- who eventually connects up with royalty through Shirley,
then de Braose.

In NEHGR 142:242 (which is, in turn, cited by Weis, Ancestral Routes, 8th
Ed, line 122A), we find that Beatrix de Braose (d 1440) was the daughter
of Peter de Braose and Joan de Percy. There is no mention of a second
wife for Peter. We see the same thing at NEHGR 150:315+

(Gov. Dudley comes from this line, too)

In Richardson's books (Plantagenet Ances. and M.C.Ances.) he mentions a
second wife of Peter's -- Joan Howard, and asserts that Beatrix is a
daughter of this second marriage. (Curiously, among the voluminous
citations are both NEHGR articles).

Anybody know what the story is here? Was there one, or two wives? If
two, which one was the mother of Beatrix, and why is the other source
incorrect?

Any help would be appreciated!

-- Sholom

This thread: