GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2011-05 > 1304309960

From: John <>
Subject: Re: re HRH Catherine Duchess of Cambridge
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 21:19:20 -0700 (PDT)

On May 1, 9:10 pm, wrote:
> Why would I contact an individual?  Why would a *person* be a  sufficient
> source for anything?
>
> If the sources used cannot be stated in a way in which a random editor
> could repeat the search, then they aren't sources that I would want to  cite.
>
> So far in my searching I've found really scant information on any of the
> children at this point.
> I did however find much more information on the parents than what's been
> published so far.
> Not that that directly addresses this issue of the two or one  William.
>
> In a message dated 5/1/2011 8:55:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>
> writes:
>
> Yes,  Henry Davenport and Elizabeth Talbot did have a son William born
> at  Worfield, Shropshire 24 Feb 1679.  The issue for you is to prove
> that  this is the William Davenport of Reading, Berkshire, who married
> Grace  Alloway and is an ancestor of Kate Middleton, keeping in mind
> the caveat  cited by WAR that "insufficient evidence exists to
> establish such a  connection beyond a reasonable doubt".  The WAR Book,
> based on  subsequent research I mentioned earlier, proposes another
> (and more likely)  candidate for William Davenport [or Danport] of
> Reading.
>
> To foster  "rational discussion" on this matter, you may want to
> contact the  individual mentioned in the footnote in the WAR book which
> I cited  earlier.  He can presumably be reached via the editor of the
> WAR book,  whose email address can be found in the preface to the book
> (and probably  on WAR's web site as well).

Umm...it should be obvious but I guess I have to spell it out for
you.... You could contact the person and ask him what his sources
were for the conclusion he reached. And then you could contact the
editor and berate him for not providing citations in the manner which
you would desire. :-)

This thread: