GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2011-05 > 1305674782

From: Brad Verity <>
Subject: Re: Marriage of Elizabeth (Woodville) Grey and Edward IV (about 1464)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 16:26:22 -0700 (PDT)

On May 17, 10:29 am, wrote:

> Elizabeth of York was born to her on 11 Feb 1464/5,

Wikipedia says her birthdate was 11 February 1466. Nicholas Harris
Nicolas, in 'The Privy Purse Expenses of Elizabeth of York' (1830),
says she was born 11 February 1463-4, with the following footnote:
"Sandford says she was born on the 11th of February,1466, but as
thirty-seven persons were relieved at her Maunday in 1507, and as she
is said on her monument to have completed her thirty-eighth year at
her decease, the date in the text must be correct."

The M.I. could have been inscribed at a much later date and be
incorrect. I don't know why Maundy Tuesday charity was still going on
in the Queen's name in 1507, four years after her death, but the math
for that doesn't add up in any case.

So this is another royal birthdate that is full of discrepancy. What
birthdate does ODNB give her, I wonder?

> probably when dear old
> Jacquetta came storming in to announce that the king has got her daughter in
> the family way, Isabella Widville now in her fourth month could no longer
> hide her roundness....

Elizabeth Woodville was crowned on Ascension Day (26 May) 1465. A
pregnant queen could not be crowned, but that doesn't really help
determine her first child's birthdate, since it could still fall
either way, February 1465, or February 1466. But a read through the
chronicles could determine which came first, her coronation or her
daughter.

> The condom broke and the history of the planet took a swerve.

Globalization hadn't occurred yet in the fifteenth century, but, yes,
the history of England, at least, did take a turn. This was commented
on at the time by poets and chroniclers. One used the phrase "Now see
what Love can do" (or something similar) when describing this
particular turn of events.

Cheers, -----Brad

This thread: