GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2011-11 > 1320336594

From: Douglas Richardson <>
Subject: Re: Fraudulent Ancestry of [Mr.] Thomas Newberry (died 1636[/37]), ofDorchester, Massachusetts
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:09:54 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Tim and others ~

In my earlier post regarding the fraudulent pedigree of the immigrant,
Mr. Thomas Newberry, of Dorchester, Massachusetts, I noted that Mr.
Bartlett, author of the Newberry Genealogy, had identified Richard
Newberry, of Yarcombe, Devon [the known father of the immigrant] as a
younger son of Richard Newborough, Gentleman, of Othe Francis (in
Netherbury), Dorset (died c.1570), by his wife, Elizabeth Horsey.

However, Richard Newberry, of Yarcombe, Devon [father of the
immigrant] is clearly named as a son in the 1596 will of William
Newberry, of Yarcombe, Devon. William Newberry's will is dated 20 May
1596, and proved 6 Dec. 1596 (P.C.C. 90 Drake). In the will, William
Newberry names (among other legatees) his wife, Ellyne [Ellen]; the
minor children of Richard Newberry; and he leaves the residue of his
estate to his son, Richard Newberry, whom he names his executor.

In the Newberry Genealogy, pg. 31, however, Mr. Bartlett claims that
this William Newberry's son, Richard Newberry, "born in 1564, is of
record at Membury in 1591, 1596, and 1600, and later removed to Shute,
co. Devon, where he died in August 1616, leaving no issue. His will
dated 3 Aug. 1618, proved 8 Oct. 1619, directs that he be buried
beside his mother in Membury. (Dean and Chapter of Exeter)." END OF
QUOTE.

Who are we to believe? Mr. Bartlett claims that Richard Newberry, son
of William Newberry, of Yarcombe, went to Membury and Shute, Devon,
and died without issue, and thus can not possibly be Richard Newberry,
of Yarcombe, Devon, the immigrant's father, who resided at Yarcombe
all his adult life. Mr. Bartlett maintained this fiction in spite of
the fact that William Newberry's will clearly indicates that his son,
Richard Newberry, had living issue in 1596, where as Richard Newberry,
of Membury and Shute, is alleged to have died without issue.

Mr. Bartlett further claimed that William Newberry's son, Richard,
allegedly of Membury and Shute, was not a child of his surviving wife,
Ellen, but rather by a previous marriage. We know that because he
says William Newberry married his wife, Ellen, "late in life." He
offers no evidence to support this conclusion other than noting that
the mother of Richard Newberry of Membury and Shute was buried in
Membury, Devon, whereas Ellen, widow of William Newberry, was buried
at Yarcombe, Devon in 1609.

That Ellen Newberry, was in fact the full mother (not step-mother) of
William Newberry's son and heir, Richard Newberry, is proven by the
PCC administration record of her estate. This record shows that
administration on her estate was granted 4 September 1609 to her four
sons ("filij"), Tristam Smith, William Smith, John Smith, and Richard
Newberry [see P.C.C. Adm. Act Book, 1605-1614, pg. 172 (FHL Microfilm
#093248].

Interestingly, Mr. Bartlett was confronted by these very facts by
Arthur Trego Butler in 1925, but was never acknowledged by Mr.
Bartlett. Instead Mr. Bartlett clung to his view that Richard
Newberry of Membury and Shute was the son of William Newberry, of
Yarcombe, Devon, by a different wife than Ellen. He also defended his
belief that Richard Newberry, of Yarcombe [the immigrant's father] was
originally from a gentry family in Dorset named Newburgh (or
Newborough).

In a related vein, I had the opportunity this week to speak with
Clifford L. Stott, F.A.S.G., who is a Newberry descendant and who is a
professional genealogist here in Salt Lake City. He is the author of
many fine articles in all the major genealogical journals. I've known
Cliff for many years and know him to be a man of character and
integrity. He is also an excellent researcher.

Mr. Stott told me that he had done original research on the English
origins of the Newberry family and that he possesses a copy of the
correspondence between Butler and Bartlett now on file at the NEHGS
Library in Boston.

Mr. Stott said that the alleged royal ancestry of the immigrant,
Thomas Newberry, appears in some secondary works as "questionable."
However, he said "it is just plain wrong." Once he determined that
Mr. Bartlett's findings were incorrect, he proceeded to research the
Newberry family like he would any other. He checked parish registers
and pulled up wills, etc. He came to the same conclusion that I did
that the immigrant's father, Richard Newberry, of Yarcombe, Devon was
the son of William Newberry (died 1596), of Yarcombe, Devon, by his
wife, Ellen.

Mr. Stott further informed me that another piece of Mr. Bartlett's
work is currently under investigation for fraud. C'est la vie.

In summary, there now appears to have been three men living in the
same time period:

(1) Richard Newberry, of Yarcombe, Devon, died 1639 [the immigrant's
father] who can be shown to have been the son of William Newberry
(died 1596), of Yarcombe, Devon, and his wife, Ellen (died 1609).
This Richard Newberry had five children (or less) living in 1632.
This Richard Newberry was never styled gentleman.

(2) Richard Newberry, of Membury and Shute, Devon, died 1618, who
presumably came from Membury, Devon. He left no issue.

(3) Richard Newborough, Gentleman, living 1592-3, at Bradpole, Dorset
and 1594 at Devon. He was a younger son of Richard Newborough, Gent.,
of Othe Francis (in Netherbury), Dorset (died c.1570), by his wife,
Elizabeth Horsey. This man had seven children living in 1632.

P.S. I might add that Mr. Stott told me that he has also researched
the family of Grace Matthew, mother of the immigrant, Thomas
Newberry. He found no evidence to support Mr. Bartlett's wild
allegations that she was also a descendant of the gentry Newburgh
family of Dorset.

This thread: