GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2011-11 > 1322674254

From: Wjhonson <>
Subject: Re: Gateways
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:30:54 -0500 (EST)

The problem with the issue of "how far they would travel to marry them" is complicated by ignorance of their London connections.
Many people as they were "rising" in their career, or even at times right at the beginning, went to London, which was the center of the known universe to them.
While there, they may have risen from a barrister to a landed gentleman to a member of the privy council.
This father, or uncle, or first cousin, quite often. Quite quite quite often. Would pull in their relatives for positions here and there, and arrange to marry them off to this one or that one of their acquaintance.

It's not the point of how far Dover is from Cardiff. It's the point of how far Uncle John in London is from Uncle Robert in London.
Which is why the web-tree approach or what I call "proximity" is far more important to use, rather than a strictly lineal ascent.