GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2013-03 > 1363920755

From: Richard Carruthers <>
Subject: Re: OT: Jorge Mario Bergoglio
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 19:52:35 -0700

This article fills in some gaps:

http://www.famigliacristiana.it/chiesa/news_1/articolo/ecco-l-albero-genealogico-di-papa-francesco.aspx

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.famigliacristiana.it/chiesa/news_1/articolo/ecco-l-albero-genealogico-di-papa-francesco.aspx&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522giuseppe%2BBergoglio%2522%2Bpapa%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den%26newwindow%3D1%26safe%3Doff&sa=X&ei=ScRLUbbqGMPHiwKXr4GoCQ&ved=0CFEQ7gEwBA

Notably it fixes the precise place of origin of the Bergoglio family
as Asti in Piedmont.

An amended Ancestor Chart below showing additions from the article in
square brackets:

Richard:)

On 21/03/2013, Richard Carruthers <> wrote:
> The pope's direct ancestry (with a few siblings) compiled on 14/3/2013
> from online newspaper articles, mostly in Spanish (but some in Italian
> and French). One of the French ones mentioned that his forebears were
> Piedmontese, but no exact place of origin in Italy was mentioned.
> Obviously some of the names below are in Spanish when they should
> perhaps be in Italian.
>
> 1a. Jorge Mario Bergoglio, b. 17 Dec. 1936, Buenos Aires (BA), elected as
> Bishop of Rome, 13 Mar. 2013, and took the name Franciscus
> (i.e.Francis etc.)
> 1b. Oscar Bergoglio, deceased
> 1c. Marta Bergoglio[=Marta Regina Bergoglio, b. BA]
> 1d. Alberto Bergoglio[=Alberto Horacio Bergoglio, b. BA]
> 1e. Maria Elena Bergoglio [b. BA]
>
> 2. Mario Jose Bergoglio m. 1935 [b. 2 Apr. 1908, Turin]
> 3. Maria Regina Sivori (siblings: Oscar Adrian Sivori; Catalina Estes
> Sivori; Vicente Francisco Sivori; Luis Juan Sivori)
>
> 4. Juan Bergoglio[= Giovanni Angelo Bergoglio, b. 13 Aug. 1884 (reg'd 14/8/1884), Asti, moved to Turin, 1 Jan. 1906, m. 1907, Turin, returned to Asti 1918, left Asti for Argentina, 1 Feb. 1929]
> 5. Rosa Margarita Vasallo (arrived in B.A. from Italy, Jan. 1929)[= Rosa Vassallo, of Liguria]
> 6. Francisco Sivori Sturla
> 7. Maria Gogna di Sivori
>
> 8. NN Bergoglio[=Francesco Bergoglio b. ca 1856-57]
> 9. NN
> 10. NN Vasallo
> 11. NN
> 12. NN Sivori