GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2014-03 > 1394309668

From: Brad Dubbs <>
Subject: Part I: Hen IV to Jane Vaughan PA - some orig. MS sources in Walesfor Nannau generations
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 12:14:28 -0800 (PST)

I have been researching the Henry IV to Jane Vaughan of Pennsylvania line and recently visited Wales for some non-pedigree sources. I believe the line has been mentioned by Glen's Welsh Tract and in W.W.E Wynn's notes to Dwnn's Heraldic Visitations of Wales as well as briefly in this forum.

In my reading on the generations from Hen IV to Kynaston, I have seen a number of sources including CP, pedigrees, etc, but will summarize what I have been able to gather for those generations in another post.

Most of the line from Roger Kynaston to Jane Vaughan of Pennsylvania is covered by the pedigrees by Bartrum (earlier generations), Griffith's Peds. of Anglesey and Carns. Fams. (PACF), and, Dwnn but some sources, such the Dict. of Welsh Biog. (DWB), the History of Parliament (HOP), and the Journal of Merioneth Historical and Record Society (JMHRS), mention a collection of family MS sources in Wales for the Nanney of Nannau and Vaughan generations (roughly from the mid 1400s to the late 1600s).

Fearing a health or computer problem, I decided to summarize what I found in Wales last year, thinking that, possibly, a few present or future researchers might find something of value in it.

Below is the line to Jane Vaughan as outlined by various Welsh pedigrees. I have inserted references from the family papers called the Nannau MS at Bangor University and from the Peniarth MS at the Nat. Lib. of Wales (NLW), into the Nannau and Vaughan generations as outlined by the Welsh pedigrees.

Note: In brackets I have added date ranges for each Nannau generation. These dates come from a pedigree chart in a Journal of Merioneth Historical and Record Society (JMHRS) article by Bryn Parry, vol. 5, pt 3, p 185-206 (chart opposite p 206). There is a catalog for the Nannau MS that I used at Bangor University (that I have not found mentioned in my reading). The Catalogue preface (ending on p. iv) is signed by "Thos. Richards, Librarian (4 Nov., 1936)." I later realized this was most likely the Thomas Richards D Litt Bangor that authored the Nannau and other entries in the DWB.

Although there is not much of note in the Nannau MS for them, I start below briefly with the Ynysmaengwyn generations before they marry into the main Nannau line. Several Ynysmaengwyn family members appear throughout the Nannau MS.

In addition, when lacking information for the early generations from the Nannau MS, I also insert other references and selections from Welsh poems making note of Nannau Family members and occasionally their wives. The Nannau were frequent patrons to the poets. One of my favorite poem selections is a praise addressed to Meurig Vychan of Nannau who lived just before the start of discussion below:

"I am sitting by a blazing fire, in the parish, in the house of Meurig Vychan;
I have had lodging, house, and fire, tomorrow I shall have money."

1. Henry IV
2. Humphrey Duke of Gloucester
3. Antigone m. Henry Grey, Count of Tankerville
4. Elizabeth Grey, m. Sir Roger Kynaston of Hordley
5. Mary Kynaston, m.Howel ap Jenkin ab Iorwerth (d. 1494)

For these earlier generations it seems that one has to rely primarily on the Welsh pedigrees. This generation of Howel ap Jenkin and his wife is no exception. The PACF pedigrees, (see Ynysmaengwyn, p237 and Nannau, p200) show this marriage and show that a granddaughter of this Howel of Ynysmaengwyn later married into the Nannau family, however, Howel ap Jenkin himself does not appear in any of the Nannau MS catalog entries.

One document we do have for some of the members of this generation is a description of a "deede" of about the year 1480, that mentions Howel ap Jenkin, his father and his brothers. This deed also seems to help confirm Howel's marriage to Mary Kynaston, daughter of Roger Kynaston who was at one time deputy constable of Harlech Castle:

-- "Howel ab Jenkin of Ynys y Maengwyn seeing his father's meanes (estate) after his death was to be divided between him and his brethren.... took the old man [Jenkin] his father, and imprisoned him in Harlegh castell, where he [his] father in lawe [Sir Roger Kynaston of Hordley,] was [deputy] constable; from whence he was not released untill he passed all his landes upon Howel and Mary [Kynaston] his wife and their issue, by his deede, wch beareth date ye 19th of Edw. 4 [blank or torn. Said to be 1479/1480]. ..... He goes on to say that "William ap Jenkin, & Morgan his brother, ye sonnes of Jenkin ap Iorwerth aforesd, who being disinherited by meanes of their brother Howell" took up sides against Hywel. As described by Robert Vaughan, the antiquary, in Lloyd, History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog, vol. 6 (p. 245, 246). Note: I have not, in my reading, seen a specific manuscript number identified for the deed of 19 ED IV referenced above. Perhaps it is somewhere in the Peniarth MS.

According to the Ynysmaengwyn pedigree (PACF p237), both Hywel ap Jenkin and his brothers William and Morgan ap Jenkin named above, had a Nannau mother. The pedigree shows Hywel's father Jenkin ap Iowerth as married to Eliw, a daughter of Gruffydd Derwas, a younger son of the main Nannau line.

Gruffydd Derwas served as a guardian of his older brother Howel Selyf's minor son Meurig Vychan of Nannau (PACF Nannau pedigree and see JMHRS article by Bryn Parry, vol. 5, pt 3, p. 190). This and later marriages between the Nannau and Ynysmaengwyn and related families could possibly explain the appearance of Ynysmaengwyn family members that occurred several times in the Nannau family MS as noted below.

About 30 years after the event in the deed described above, Howel ap Jenkin is dead and we find a brief mention of a member of the Nannau family acting as surety for Howel's brother William ap Jenkin:
-- Howel ap David of Nannau (father of the Gruffydd Nanney of Nannau who married Howel ap Jenkin's grand-daughter), "acted as surety for William ap Jenkin ap Iowerth farmer of the mills of Llanvachreth and Llanegryn," (Roll of the Minister's account for County of Merioneth in the year ending Michelmas in [1510?] the 2nd year of Henry VIII (Nannau pedigree in Dwnn, vol 2, p 226, note 11). Interestingly, before William ap Jenkin occupied the office, from 1444/5 to 1458/9, both Meurig Vychan of Nannau and Meurig's uncle Gruffydd Derwas were joint farmers of the mill of Llanvachreth (see Bryn Parry, op. cit. p. 190. Parry notes that the accounts for the office cease during the War of the Roses).

Hywel ap Jenkin is said to have died of the plague in 1494. I am not able to locate it now, but I believe the source for this date is an elegy by one of the Welsh poets, Hywel Rhienallt.

Although Hywel ap Jenkin's wife Mary does not appear in the records, to obtain a rough time estimate of her generation, know that her brother Humphrey was outlawed along with his half-brother Thomas in 1491. Her brother Humphrey Kynaston's will is dated 1534. See translation in Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 2nd Series, vol. 10 (1898) p. 278. Humphrey's will seems to line up rather nicely with the Bartrum pedigree, which includes Sir Roger Kynsaton and son Humphrey and daughter Mary's husband Hywel (see Bartrum, Welsh Genealogies AD 1400-1500, NLW, vol 1, p. 131). Humphrey was the heir to Mary's older half-brother Thomas Kynaston, who according to the HOP entry, died before 1519/20. See his HOP entry online: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/kynaston-thomas-145054-151520

One of the Welsh poets Lewys Glyn Cothi [DWB: fl.1447-86] wrote a poem to Mary's father Roger Kynaston. The poet is said to be requesting a suit of armor from Sir Roger and his wife Elizabeth Grey. See Gwaith Lewys Glyn Cothi (1837), p. 369-72. Only certain parts of the poem are translated. The note to line16 refers to " Harri Grae" as "Henry Grey, Earl of Tankerville, Sir Roger's father-in-law." The note to line 19 and the words "Wyr [grandchild], Dug [Duke] and Glowsed'r" is said to say that "Roger's wife Elizabeth, was a granddaughter to the Duke of Gloucester." See poem starting p. 369: https://archive.org/details/poeticalworks00lewi

The following website details Roger Kynaston's biography in the context of the poem:
http://gutorglyn.net/gutorglyn/name/?n=nr03
It biography makes reference to a poem praising Roger's daughter Mary and her husband Hywel ap Jenkin of Ynysmaengwyn by Tudur Penllyn Book the full text is not available online (see e.g. http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4066043 ).

6. Humphrey ap Howel ap Jenkin (d. 1545) , m. Anne Herbert, da. of Richard Herbert of Coldbrook

As in the previous generation it appears that the pedigrees provide most of the information for this generation. However, Humphrey ap Howel does appear in some Star Chamber and other accounts which might help in dating part of his active life. In addition Humphrey might also appear in a Nannau MS at the end of his life but the dating of the particular manuscript is problematic. I discuss this below in the next generation when his daughter Jane marries Gruffydd Nannau.

In looking at the catalog entries for the Nannau MS, I was not able to find direct evidence of the marriage of this Humphrey ap Howel and Anne Herbert. Though its not the best evidence because it occurs 40 some years after Humphreys death, Humphrey ap Howel and Anne's grandson Hugh Nanney of Nannau, (born c. 1546) signed a Nannau pedigree in 1588, that shows this marriage (Dwnn, vol 2, p 226, 227) There are two pedigrees. The upper pedigree shows Hugh's mother Jane was a daughter of Humphrey ap Howel of Ynysmaengwyn and Anne ' Harbart.' The lower pedigree, that seems to be the one signed by grandson Hugh Nanney, shows Hugh's mother Anne Herbert was daughter of Richard Herbert and follows the line from grandfather Humphrey ap Howel back through Roger Kynaston and so on back to Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester.

Some of the existing records provide a partial view of when Humphrey ap Howel was active:

There is a brief entry for Humphrey in WRB Robinson, Some Welsh Members of Henry VIII's Household in the 1520s, BBCS 40 (1993) 168:
-- Humphrey ap Howell in ... a household list of the early 1520s as Humphrey ap Howell ap Jenky, was of Ynysmaengwwyn in Towyn in Merioneth. He served as deputy sheriff of Merioneth in the 1520s and was active in local affairs until his death in 1545."

The nationalarchives.gov site has several entries that provide a date range and place for some of Humphrey ap Howel's activities:

-- Court of Chancery, Six clerks office:
C 1/517/5: Short title: Ap Howell v The Mayor of London.
Plaintiffs: Humphrey ap Howell ap Jenkyn of Towyn, gentleman.
Defendants: The mayor and sheriffs of London. Subject: Actions by John Dowce, executor of William Cofte, clerk, and John Fyssher, clerk, on bonds the acquittance for which is at Towyn in Wales. Certiorari. London [1518-29]

-- Miscellaneous documents relating to the Council in the Marches of Wales:
SP 46/3 folio 24: Two charges (no plaintiffs named) against Humphrey ap Howell ap Jankyn of extortion from inhabitants of unspecified county. [After 1529]

SP 46/3 folio 15: Articles by John Puleston [marginal note: `deputy sheriff of the county of Merioneth'] of abuses in county. Blames Humphrey ap Howell ap Jankyn for causing disorder by claiming that royal pardon of 1529 is to be extended to Wales. [1530-31]

-- Records of the Court of Star Chamber, Proceedings Henry VIII:
STAC 2/10: PLAINTIFF: John Cole, sub-dean of the King's Chapel
DEFENDANT: Humphrey Thomas, and Humphrey ap Howell ap Jenkyn PLACE OR SUBJECT: Occupation of the church and parsonage of Towyn, contrary to the decision of certain doctors COUNTY: Merioneth [1509-47]

As mentioned above, according to the pedigrees, Humphrey married Anne, daughter of Richard Herbert. A few details on Richard Herbert and timeframes for his marriage and sons, might help place his daughter Anne. From WRB Robinson, Sir Richard Herbert (d. 1539) of Montgomery: Part 1 [RHM1], Mont Collections, 87 (1999) 91-110
-- http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1264487/llgc-id:1272050/llgc-id:1272147/get650/

-- Robinson notes that the day of Richard Herbert's death of May 23rd comes from a letter sent by Bishop Lee to Thomas Cromwell on May 24th, 1539 saying that Sir Richard Herbert had died the previous day (RHM1, p. 91, citing PRO SP1/151 of. 155 calendared in LP, Vol. 14, pt I, no. 1020).
-- Sir Richard Herbert of Montgomery was the younger son of sir Richard Herbert of
Coldbrook near Abergavenny, a younger brother of William Earl of Pembroke. Both were executed after the battle of Edgcote in July 1469 (RHM1, p. 92).
-- Richard was born 1467 or 1468. In a deposition of February 13, 1534 he gave his age as 66 years which if correct indicates that he was born in 1467 or 1468 (RHM1, p. 92 citing LP, vol. 7, no. 178).
-- His mother was Margaret one of the daughters of Thomas at Griffith of Dinefwr and a sister of sir Rhys ap Thomas. In 1471, [his mother] the widow Margaret was granted custody of her late husband's lands during the minority of her elder son and heir William (RHM1, p. 92, citing CPR, 1467-1477, 275, 335, 535).
-- He probably married his first wife early in Henry VII's rein. She was Margaret daughter of Gwilym ap Rhys of Llwyn Howell. The dates of birth of these children are not recorded but the sons by this [the first] marriage are apparently of full age by the 1520s (RHM1, p. 95).
-- Richard had three sons Morgan, Richard, and William and a daughter Anne who married the prominent Merionethshire gentlemen Humphrey at Howell (RHM1, p. 95)[no source but Bartrum and Dwnn cited in previous sentence].
-- Morgan Herbert succeeded his father as steward of Lord Dudley's lands in Powys for a few years in the early 1520s and was increasingly prominent in mid Wales before his premature death probably from the plague in 1526 (RHM1, p. 95).
[Note: Morgan's will mentions his brother Richard and uncle Thomas ap Rhys but not sister Anne; see separate article, Transcript of will of Morgan Herbert, Kt., dated 19 July 1526, Mont. Colls., vol 82 (1994), p 126 (not a complete transcript but citing PRO Prob 10/4 24768).]
-- Richard Herbert's sons Richard and William were mentioned in a complaint against Sir Richard in 1525 or 1526 (RHM1, p. 95).

The Welsh poets praised Richard Herbert (d. 1539). See for example, Gwaith Lewys Glyn Cothi (1837), p. 70-72: https://archive.org/details/poeticalworks00lewi

For more on Richard Herbert by poet Guto 'r Glyn see: http://www.gutorglyn.net/gutorglyn/name/?n=nr06

7. Gruffydd Nanney, m. Jane d of Humphrey ap Howell ap Jenkin of Ynysmaengwyn [fl. 1536-1573]

Given that this generation involves Gruffydd or Griffith Nanney, a member of the main Nannau line, more relevant sources from the Nannau MS can be found. As shown by the Nannau pedigree (PACF p200), Gruffyd, son of Howel ap David, married Jane daughter of Humphrey of Howell of Ynysmaengwyn.

If the marriage between Gruffydd Nanney and Jane took place, you might hope to find a document in the Nannau MS where both fathers, Howel ap David of Nannau, and Humphrey of Howell of Ynysmaengwyn appear. Although I could not find an earlier marriage settlement by the fathers, both names do appear together in one later Nannau MS but the catalog description of the document is very brief and so it is difficult to say whether both of the men named are the two fathers.

The catalog entry for Nannau MS no. 63 reads: " A bond in which Humfri ap Howel is bound to Howel ap David ap Meuric in a sum of 100 pounds." The catalog entry does not specifically identify Humphrey as "of Ynysmaengwyn." One can probably be more certain of the other party mentioned in MS no. 63, Howel ap David ap Meuric. His three-part Welsh name along with the fact that this document is a part of the Nannau MS collection help to likely place this Howel ap David as the father of Gruffydd Nanney. [I have not seen this MS cited before so did not know of its existence. I noticed the catalog entry only after my return to the U.S., so did not image the original MS, which may or may not describe a relationship between these men or the marriage of their children.]

The dating of this MS is somewhat problematic. It is said that Humphey ap Hywel died in 1545 (PACF p237) and the catalogue entry for Nannau MS no. 63 in which a Humfri ap Howel appears says the document has no date. It has been assigned a provisional date of 1550, possibly by an estimation by dating the document's handwriting.

Still, based on a gap in the documents, the MS no. 63 in which both Howel ap David and Humphrey ap Howel appear could potentially be of an earlier date. The last Nannau MS document in which Howel ap David appears is some 10 years before this one. The gap of 10 years might imply that this document could possibly be dated a bit earlier. An experienced examination of the original manuscript might yield something more.

Though we don't have the marriage Howel ap David's son Gruffydd Nanney and Jane, daughter of Humphrey ap Howel stated in the MS no. catalogue entry, we have what could be both fathers, Howel ap David and Humphrey ap Howel, fitting into a time period at the end of their lives, given that they were both active in the decades leading up to the 1540s and, the range of activities of Howel ap David's son Gruffydd Nanney from 1536-73 seem to be a reasonable fit.

Whether it's a just a random occurrence in the records involving the fathers or something more, Howel ap David is said, by Tudur Aled the poet, to have been an esquire to Prince Henry [so before 1509] later King Henry VIII (see interpretation of poem by Tudur Aled [DWB: fl. 1480-1526] where it is not clear whether Howel ap David continued to serve while Henry was King; E.D. Jones, 'The Family of Nanney,' JMHRS, vol. 2. p. 10). As noted above, by W.R.B. Robinson, Humphrey ap Howel ap Jenkin served in Henry VIII's household in the early 1520s.

Howel ap David of Nannau held the office of farmer of the mill of LLanfachreth from 1512/3 until the end of his life (see Bryn Parry, op. cit. p. 191). Just before this, in about 1510, Humphrey ap Howel's uncle William ap Jenkin had been holding the office (see above). Although the record is incomplete, this office may have had a hereditary aspect to it. As discussed above, Gruffydd Derwas held the office jointly with his nephew Meurig Vychan of Nannau from the mid-1440s to the end of the 1450s, then after a gap due possibly to the War of the Roses, the office in 1510 was held by Gruffydd Derwas' son in law William ap Jenkin, and then, from 1512/3 to 1540 or so, by Howel ap David of Nannau.

Although we don't have a marriage agreement for Howel ap David's son Gruffydd Nanney and Jane, daughter of Humphrey ap Howel of Ynysmaengwyn and the Nannau MS Bond of Obligation that both fathers appear in is not dated, perhaps there is a degree of comfort in the marriage in that we have the Dwnn Nannau pedigree signed by Gruffydd Nanney's son Hugh Nanney in 1588. It shows the marriage of Gruffydd Nanney and Jane, who is noted as a daughter of Humphrey ap Howel of Ynysmaengwyn. It does not seem too far out of reason to say that the Hugh Nanney, when he signed the pedigree, would have known his father Gruffydd Nanney, who appeared in Nannau MS just 15 years previously, and would have likely known that his mother Jane, had Ynysmaengwyn family origins and somewhat likely that his grandfather was Humphrey ap Howel of Ynysmaengwyn.

A poem by William Llyn in (Ed. J.C. Morrice) Barddoniaeth William Llyn: A'i Eirlyfr Gyda Nodiadau (1908), "Awdl Foliant Gruffydd Nannau" (poem LIV) mentions Gruffydd Nanney and some of the ancestors of he and his wife.

The poem LIV in Welsh starts on page 140. On page 310, the notes to poem LIV are given as follows: note to poem line 1 refers us to "Nannau;" note to line 6, "Gruffydd [Nanney] ap Howel;" note to line 10, "Dafydd" [probably Gruffydd's grandfather]; note to line 18, "Salbri: Howel Nannau, Gruffydd's father, married Elen, daughter of Robert Salbri of Rug" [but PACF Nannau pedigree he is "of Llyweni"]; note to lines 30-32, "refers to Gruffydd Nannau's wife, Jane, daughter of Humphrey ab Howel of Ynys y Maen Gwyn;" note to line 35, "Kinast: Sir Roger Kinaston, Constable of Harlech Castle;" note to line 36, "Herbart: Anne Herbart o Drefaldwyn" [Montgomery]. See notes to poem no. XIV, starting p. 310: http://books.google.com/booksid=DOI4AQAAIAAJ

There are notes to another poem (p. 309, poem LI) by William Llyn that are said to mention the brother of Gruffydd Nanney's wife Jane. It is useful because the poem is addressed to Jane's brother John of Ysysmaengwyn and the notes say that it mentions Sian [sister Jane] and their father Humphrey ap Hywel.

To help date their activities, I will briefly summarize the appearance of Gruffydd and his father in the Nannau MS.

Gruffydd's father Howel ap David:

-- Howel ap David first appears in Nannau MS no. 914 (12 May 1500) and no. 20 (16 July 1500) and last appears in no. 63 along with Humphrey ap Howel [of Ynysmaengwyn?] (no date; provisional date of 1550). The last dated document for Howel ap David curse 10 years before this in Nannau MS no. 47 "writ of Detinue issued against Howel ap David ap Meurig for nonpayment of debt ..." (12 July 1540). Not all entries list lands that can be placed nearby but several MS entries during this period are transactions of land in Nannau or nearby townships and one is dated at Nannau. Note: Tudur Aled wrote a poem with Gruffydd's father Howel ap David of Nannau as the subject. The entry for the poem from the table of contents for Mostyn MS #165, Report of Manuscripts in Welsh, vol. 1, p 268 is: "Cywydd [poem or 'ode'] i Howell ap D[avi]d: ap Meurig ..." [no date; the DWB says that Tudur Aled lived c.1480-1526.]

The appearance of Gruffydd in the Nannau MS:

-- Based on the Nannau MS catalogue entries, Gruffydd Nanney first appears in 1536 in Nannau MS no. 39 as Gruffud Wyn ap Howel ap David ap Meuric, the Welsh name spelling out Gruffydd's father Howel and his grandfather David and so on (see PACF p200, Nannau pedigree).

-- Gruffydd Nanney appears more frequently in many MS from the mid 1530s on with his last appearance in no. 108 (1573). Griffith's son Hugh is named as his heir in no. 106 (1572).

One interesting result of the examining the Nannau MS, is that Howel ap David and son Gruffydd Nanney appear together in a few Nannau MS but, unlike in the next generation, the catalog entries don't state specifically that Gruffydd is Howel's son or heir. Perhaps he is described as such in the original manuscripts.

There are however a few transactions in the Nannau MS that appear to link Howel ap David with succeeding generations. Nannau MS no. 914 appears to be a 1573 lease assigned by Howel ap David's son Griffith Nanney to his son Hugh Nanney that, in turn, cites a lease originally dated in the year 1500 to Howel ap David:

-- MS no. 914 reads: "Assignment (1 November 1573) of a lease from Griffith Nanney (otherwise called Griffith ap Howel ap David ap Meyrick) to Hugh Nanney his son, of the messauges of Bryn y Llyn and Cwmcedwyn, originally leased (12 May 1500) to Howel ap David [by Galfrid, Abbot of the monastery Cymer with the full consent of the convent, original term 80 or 90 years and rent 26s 8d]. This was brought to my attention by Bryn Parry, (op. cit. p. 195).

-- On the same page (p. 195), Parry also refers to another but undated lease of the same lands granted to the same Griffith Nanney which were later, in 1589, granted to [Griffith's son], Hugh Nanney, his wife and son during their lives at an annual rent of 26s 6d (citing Lewis and Davies, 'Records of the Court of Augmentations relating to Wales and Monmouthshire' (1954), p. 429).

As mentioned above, Humphrey ap Howel's father Howel ap Jenkyn and brothers. Morgan and William ap Jenkyn had a mother Eliw, daughter of Gruffydd Derwas of the Nannau line. Possibly because they were distantly related or because Gruffydd Nanney married a Ynysmaengwyn roughly in this period, or for other reasons that are are not apparent, an heiress of William ap Jenkyn of Ynysmaengwyn appears in several Nannau MS during this period:

-- MS no. 55 entry reads : "Deed of exchange between Rees Vaughan ap Griffith ap Hoell of Llanenddwyn and Katherin v[er]ch [da. of] William ap Jenkin, widow (8 Oct. 1544);. R.V. grants to Katherin the tenement of Tyddyn Llwyn Tegwred in Ardudwy; she grants to him Bryn Madyn and Yr Hirfron in Dolgledr." Richards, in the MS no. 55 entry notes that "Katherin was a da. and heiress of Ynysmaengwyn, married to Richard ap Robert of Plas Newydd, Llandwrog (PACF p 266)."

-- Katherine daughter of William ap Jenkin also appears in MS no. 62 (1549) in an indenture between Lewis Owen on one part and on the other part, Katherine and "William ap Richard ap Robert ap Meridith" [Maredudd; her son].

-- Lands in Dolgelley were conveyed to Katherine in Nannau MS, no. 69 (1552) and Katherine, widow, places her lands to the use of "Thomas ap Richard ap Robert, son to the said Katherine" and then to William her grandson in MS no. 90 (1564).

For details, see William ap Jenkin and daughter Katherine and her children in the very useful Family Search -- Welsh Nobility web site: http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I31676&tree=Welsh ).

Several other Nannau MS in this period help to support the parts of the Nannau pedigree (PACF p 200):

-- A marriage settlement of William ap Tudur with Margaret, da of Gruffydd Nanney, MS no. 79 (1558).

-- Gruffydd Nanney's brother Richard Nanney shows up as an arbitrator for Gruffydd (now called Griffth Wyn ap Howel) in MS no. 53 (1543) and in MS no. 94 (1566). which discusses a "pretended" marriage of Richard Nanney's daughter Gwen to Edward Powys. The entry notes that Edward Powys ended up marrying Mary, the daughter of John Wynn ap Humphrey of Ynysmaengwyn. [For Edward Powys as a Tudor land speculator, see Bryn Parry, (op. cit. p. 196), where Cwm Hesgyn in Trawsfynydd, a formerly possessed by the Abbey of Cymer, was granted by the queen in 1588 to court gentry and later, in that same year, sold to Edward Powys and then by his son John, in July 1589, to David Lloyd ap Howel of Trawsfynydd who sold it to the Nanneys in 1598.]

[See part II post for next generations]

This thread: