GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2014-03 > 1394309866

From: Brad Dubbs <>
Subject: Part III: Hen IV to Jane Vaughan PA - some orig. MS sources in Walesfor Nannau & Vaughan generations
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 12:17:46 -0800 (PST)

Part 3 covers the last generations ending with Jane Vaughan of Pennsylvania --
9. Catherine Nanney m Robert Vaughan, antiquary
10. Jane Vaughan m. Robert Owen, "the Quaker"

See Parts 1 and 2 for the previous generations.

Note: I have inserted references from the Nannau MS at Bangor University and Peniarth MS at the Nat. Lib. of Wales (NLW), into the Nannau and Vaughan generations below as outlined by the Welsh pedigree for Nannau, Pedigrees of Anglesey and Wales (PACF), p 200 and Hengwrt pedigree PACF p 201. In brackets, I have added date ranges from the PACF pedigrees for each generation. For the Nannau MS, I rely for the most part on the catalogue entry for each MS prepared by Thomas Richards in 1936.

9. Catherine Nanney, [PACF "nat 1594, ob 1622-23"], m Robert Vaughan, of Hengwrt, the antiquary [1592-1667]

Griffith Nanney's daughter was Catherine Nanney according to the pedigree in PACF. I have not discovered in my reading the source for the dates given for Catherines birth and death in PACF.

One rough clue to when she was born is the birth of her brother Hugh Nanney "the younger." Nannau MS no. 246, describes when Griffith's son and heir Hugh the younger is no longer a minor. Hugh the elder, Griffith, and his son and heir, Hugh the younger, appear in a deed of mortgage dated September 26, 1608. The entry for this MS notes that there is also "a memorandum on the dorse of this MS that says that Hugh the younger was not 21 years of age at the [original date of the] signing and sealing, but that he was [21 years old] on October 24, 1609." So it appears that Catherines brother Hugh Nanney was born in 1588. PACF shows Catherine's brother Hugh the younger born in 1588, her sister Ann born in 1591, Catherine in 1594, and brother William in 1600.

Though Robert Vaughan appears in a few of the Nannau MS, I will first mention one of the sources I most frequently see (and from what I have been able to find, except for a pedigree, this is the often the only source provided) for this generation and that is Peniarth MS 287 and 288 at the National Library of Wales (NLW). Before visiting the NLW, I found a high level description of these MS in the Report of Manuscripts in the Welsh Language (RMW), vol. 1, pt p 1102-1104.

Peniarth 287 is book of pedigrees compiled by in in the handwriting of Robert Vaughan, "the antiquary. According to the RMW discussion, Peniarth 288, based on W.W.E Wynn's reading of it, is Robert Vaughan's son Griffith's copy of Peniarth 287. [RMW makes the case by noting that Pen. 288 is in Griffith Vaughan's hand and the margin notes Griffith makes in Pen. 287 referring to Pen. 288, correspond to the right page in Pen. 288.] RMW then says that Robert Vaughan's children are listed unmarried on Peniarth 287, folio or page 408 and that his son Griffith's Vaughan's Peniarth 288, p 404 provides us with all the marriages of Robert Vaughan's children.

Once at the NLW, I requested the films for the above Peniarth MS (originals are not provided but the film that is provided is projected not on a screen but on a glossy white surface which made it difficult to read in places). My reading of the image of Peniarth MS 288, p 404 at the top lines up well with PACF Hengwrt, p 201 and shows:

"Robert Vy[cha]n ap Howel = Catrin v[er]ch [daughter of] Gruff[ydd] Nanney esq[uire]"

These NLW MS Peniarth 287 and 288 pedigrees seem to be the primary source for Robert Vaughan's marriage to Jane, daughter of Griffith Nanney. In reading about Vaughan, I became aware potentially another source. There was a dispute between Robert Vaughan and the Nanneys that was described briefly in JMHRS, vol. p24 (1949) and I decided to look at the one or two of the original Nannau MS cited in a footnote on p 24 for the dispute to see if Vaughan's wife Catherine appeared. The Nannau MS catalogue entries for the dispute regarding diversion of a stream of water follow:

-- Nannau MS no. 370: [no date] "Interrogatories ministered by Hugh Nanney, infant [to be read as "the younger" or minor?] and the two Ann Nanneys, defendants to examine witnesses against Robert Vaughan, the elder, Howel Vaughan and Robert Vaughan the younger [the later two appear as sons of Robert Vaughan in PACF p 201].

-- Nannau MS no. 375: [1657/8] "This answer was taken upon the oaths [of] the said def[enda]nts Anne Nanney the elder, widow, and Anne Nanney the younger, widow, the mother and guardian to the said defend[an]t Hugh Nanney at the dwelling of William ap Elisse in Dolgelley....the 14th day of Jan., 1657[/8] before is the Commissioners subscribed, William Nan[ney], William P ??, Robert O[wen], Griffith Vau[ghan]." [Richards note here says that the elder Anne Nanney of Corsygedol was the widow of Hugh Nanney (d.1647), and the younger Anne Nanney of Dolwgwyn (aka Mary in PACF p 200) was the widow of Griffith, son of Hugh (d. 1647) and Anne the elder; Hugh Nanney, infant died 1676].

I found a document from the web in the UK archives catalogue for documents in Kew that seems to be related to this case and it mentions Robert Vaughan's wife. This document appears to have the same names as Nannau MS no. 370 and a date 1657 which is within a year or so of the date in MS no. 375. The key difference though seems to be that this C6/137/119 document includes the name of Robert Vaughan's wife Catherine Nanney now "Katherine Vaughan his wife:"

-- C6/137/119 Vaughan vs. Nanney

Plaintiffs: Robert Vaughan, Katherine Vaughan his wife, Howell Vaughan, and Robert Vaughan
Defendants: Howell Nanney, Anne Nanney and Anne Nanney