GEN-NEWBIE-L ArchivesArchiver > GEN-NEWBIE > 2007-10 > 1193889047
From: digger <>
Subject: Re: [GN] Texas Route
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:50:47 -0700
I hope this helps you.
AAG International Research, LLC.
other regions as well <http://www.intl-research.com/migration.htm>
See Western states-
One of the main trails went from San Antonio, TX N. thru OK to Kansas (Dodge
City) and E. to Independence, MO. It was the Red River trail and one of the
main ones used to drive cattle to market.
Another was the Ft. Smith Trail, which followed the South Texas Trail for a
while, heading E. from San Antonio; then branching off to the north to Ft.
Smith, AR. From there the Missouri river was used.
Another possibility is:
Also see http://ceil.rootsweb.com/transportation/trail-links.htm
[NOTE: Many listed at this site]
East Shawnee Trail The more recent name for the first major cattle trail
from Texas to Kansas, which was sometimes called the Texas Road. It crossed
the Red River at Colbert's Ferry and passed near Fort Wichita and Fort
Gibson, and crossed into Kansas near the Missouri border. There was a
branch that led northward from Fort Gibson (on the west side of the Grand
River), which met the original trail at the Kansas border, and one that led
northwest (north of the Arkansas River) to meet the West Shawnee Trail in
The El Camino East/West Corridor, a 1,729 mile corridor that stretches along
Highway 84 from Brunswick, Ga. to El Paso, Texas.
The Old San Antonio Road was also known as the Camino Real, the King's
Highway, and the San Antonio-Nacogdoches Road.
In Spanish Texas the Old San Antonio Road was a major artery for travel into
Texas. It served as a lifeline for the missions by enabling the transport of
freight supplies and military protection, and it facilitated trade. During
the eighteenth century Spanish ranchers conducted cattle drives along the
route from points in Texas to the annual fair in Saltillo, Coahuila. In
addition to being an avenue of commerce, the road enabled immigration. Moses
Austin traversed the trail en route to San Antonio to request an empresario
grant from the Spanish government in 1820, and many Anglo-American colonists
entered Texas at Gaines Ferry on the Sabine and arrived at Nacogdoches and
the interior of Texas over the road.
Although generally thought of as a single road, it may be more accurate to
describe the Old San Antonio Road as a network of trails, with different
routes used at different times. Feeder roads branched off the main course.
Considerable portions of the route probably existed before the Spanish
arrived. Some of the earliest segments of the road were previously links
between Indian settlements. Other segments of the road did not appear until
much later. The portion connecting Bastrop and Crockett, for example, did
not come into use until after 1790, relatively late in the road's history.
During the course of the eighteenth century the route between the Rio Grande
and San Antonio was gradually shifted southeastward, probably as a result of
the Apache and Comanche threat to Spanish travelers. Nor was the Old San
Antonio Road the only camino real in the "Provincias Internas". Several
routes in what is now the United States were called by that name. The
mission trail up the coast of California and the road from El Paso to Santa
Fe and Taos were also known as caminos reales.
Surveyor V. N. Zivley, using Juan Agustín Morfi's diary of 1778, sought to
establish the route. The route traced by Zivley followed a southeasterly
course. It began at Paso de Francia on the Rio Grande, passed near Cotulla
and Poteet, and entered San Antonio, from where it passed between Hays and
Caldwell counties and through Bastrop, Lee, and Burleson counties, formed
the boundary between Robertson and Brazos and Madison and Leon counties, and
passed through Houston, Cherokee, Nacogdoches, San Augustine, and Sabine
counties, before crossing the Sabine River at Gaines Ferry. The total
distance was 540 miles. In 1929 the Texas legislature designated the Zivley
version of the Old San Antonio Road one of the historic trails of Texas.
A. Joachim McGraw, determined that the route that Zivley plotted was only
one of several changing historic routes known as the Old San Antonio Road or
El Camino Real. The study identified no fewer than five different main
routes that were used at various times. Researchers determined that the
route employed by travelers often depended on season, natural conditions,
and Indians. All of the routes began at the Presidio del Río Grande, also
known as San Juan Bautista, which was located at Guerrero, Coahuila, five
miles from the Rio Grande and approximately thirty-five miles southeast of
the site of present-day Eagle Pass. The presidio served as a gateway for
expeditions going into Texas. The routes led across South Texas and
converged in San Antonio. These trails, in order of usage, became known as
the camino pita, the Lower Presidio road or camino en medio, and the Upper
Presidio Road. Zivley's route through South Texas retraced the Lower
Presidio Road, in use from approximately 1750 to 1800. Northeastward, beyond
San Antonio the roads diverged again. An upper, early trail known as the
camino de los tejas followed the springs of the Balcones Escarpment and
eventually turned eastward toward the Sabine River. It was used to establish
and supply the first eighteenth-century Spanish missions of East Texas. A
later road that Stephen F. Austin called the camino arriba was established
near the end of the eighteenth century, and though it still led to
destinations in East Texas, the route looped southward through a dense post
After Texas independence the road fell into disuse as the greater emphasis
was on north-south routes. Courses shifted to accommodate the growth of new
settlements and new markets, and to provide access to coastal trade. Shortly
after the Mexican War, the camino arriba, what is now called the Old San
Antonio Road, regained some of its former importance as travelers from East
Texas hastened to San Antonio and onward toward the West Coast during the
Gold Rush. Later, during the Civil War, the road served as a significant
route for transportation of cotton from eastern Texas to San Antonio to
Laredo and on to Mexico.
The Old San Antonio Road, now State Highway 21, borders the north side of
The Making of the National Road
(It was also called the Cumberland Road, National Pike and other names, but
National Road was most popular by 1825)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:34:06 -0700
From: "Yvonne Strong" <>
Subject: Re: [GN] Texas Route
I am new to the list and have been "lurking" the past few days and love the
camaraderie of the group - no put downs!
I have a ggg grandfather who left Texas in 1859 and most likely landed in
Missouri. Does anyone know the route he might have taken?