GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 1997-01 > 0854585210

From: "Jay A. Nellis" <>
Subject: Re: Misdirected replies
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:46:50 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 wrote:

> There has been some discussion recently of replies that should or shouldn't
> have been private vs to the list. And recently someone started their
> message: "I will send this privately..." and of course, it wasn't private at
> all and started much discussion.
>
> In addition to this NYS discussion list, I belong to several others (Canada,
> French etc...) THIS is the ONLY list where replying to a message
> automatically inserts the list address as the "To:" address.
>
> If I "reply" to a message from any other list, it inserts the original
> sender's e-mail address as the "To:" address. The reply thus goes privately,
> unless I choose to add a CC: to the list address.

I _think_ it's a function of your software, not the listserver. I, too,
am on several lists and all, including this one, behave the same way.

When I reply to a message it goes to the originator but I am asked "reply
to all recipients?". If I answer yes, the reply also goes to the list, a
negative answer here sends it only to the originator.

You might want to check your e-mail configuration.

Jay A. Nellis
Rockford, IL USA

Those who give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

This thread: