GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 1998-02 > 0886820401

From: "Kathy Willett" <>
Subject: Re: Fort Orange Books
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:00:01 -0800

Cheryl,

If your ancestors actually were inhabitants of Fort Orange, they are probably
mentioned somewhere in one of the volumes of Early Records of the City and
County of Albany. I was just going through some copies I made from one of
them yesterday so I can at least tell you what to look for but I don't know
where you would purchase them.

The volume I made copies from contain Notarial Papers 1 & 2, 1660-1696.
These are mostly bonds which deal with debts owed to another as a result of a
purchase (such as beavers or beaverskins) and power of attorney papers
giving another person authority to sell their property elsewhere such as
property that the person might have owned on Manhattan Island but because
they were at Fort Orange; they would have someone going to or located in
Manhattan sell it.

I'll give you the title and information on this book's title page so that
possibly something contained in it will help you to locate what you might
want. This volume specifically mentions inhabitants of "Fort Orange", not
just Albany.

The University of the State of New York
New York State Library
History Bulletin 10
Early Records of the City and County of Albany
and Colony of Rensselaerswyck (Albany County)
Volume 3
(Notarial Papers 1 and 2, 1660-1696)
Translated from the Original Dutch by Jonathan Pearson
Late Professor of Natural Philosophy in Union College
Revised and edited by A.J.F. Van Laer
Archivist, Division of Archives and History
(Published in) Albany, The University of the State of New York, 1918

I copied this at the Albany City Library when I visited there last summer. I
noted that they had other volumes also with land transactions and other
records. There are also volumes of information on Albany from it's discovery
forward which were published by J. Munsell in the 1800s that are widely
available at libraries. They have many of them, even out here at the library
in Los Angeles, CA so you might be able to find them where you are. All of
these publications are indexed so if a society or anywhere that has the books
offers look-up services; you might be able to check the books that way.

I don't know where you would purchase any of them but you might try Higginson
Books on the net or try Cyndi's List - http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/sites.htm
If you go to her NY listings, there is usually a listing for books for
each particular state so you might find some dealing with NY that way.

I hope something in this helps you out!

Kathy Buffington Willett

This thread: