GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 1998-02 > 0887670704

From: Janice or Bob <>
Subject: Re: NY CITY Directories 1900-1933
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:11:44 -0500 (EST)

Rich,

Received your message and the one following today - seems to be a conflict
in the information. I've heard from many regarding Buffalo and Rochester
libraries, neither have any NY City directories. Albany has them, but they
must be used there, not available for loan. So I need a confirmation of
what Syracuse has, if you are correct. Syracuse is much closer than Albany
or NYC!

Janice,
I have done quite a bit of research in the Syracuse library, and they do not
have the NYC city directories. I wish they did!
Susan - Arkansas

>It's not what I'd call western NY but it's closer: there are some NY City
>directories on microfilm in the local history room at the Onondaga County
>Public Library in Syracuse. I don't know their holdings exactly but I
>believe they start around 1900... probably at least through the 1920s is my
>guess.
>
>I'd be surprised if this were the closest collection, but if not, it may be
>better than nothing.
>
>- Rich Holmes, Syracuse, NY

This thread: