GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 1998-06 > 0897514200

From: Michelle Stone <>
Subject: Re: First Families conce
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:30:00 -0400

To Elizabeth Richardson, who on 10 June wrote:

>>Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to join a lineage society? I
am a member of several genealogy societies that are open to anyone, but have
not found a reason to join a society which has exclusivity as its purpose.<<

Great question, and I'd like to hear from others as well. As for myself, I
have been doing genealogy for about four and a half years, and to date am the
only one ever to do this kind of research among any of my living family
members--there were no "files" of research passed down, and no collections of
family papers, Bibles, etc. Just photos (sometimes labeled, more often not!)
and family stories that may or may not be true. When I began, I had to grill
my mother to discover the names of all of her aunts and uncles--they had
never been collected and written down in one place before, let alone dates,
places, verified events, etc. I have been working mostly on my own since
then, though I have found a 2C/1R and a 3/C (previously unknown) who are
genealogists (and very helpful) in one line, my closest genealogist/relatives
so far. Most of my lines are of German origin, immigrants who worked with
their hands who came to the U.S. between 1850 or so (I'm guessing) and 1904,
and by the time WWI and II passed by, so had the Great Anmesia and the Great
Assimilation been adopted.

When I discovered early this year after scratching back several generations
to reveal that my Stone family seems to link up with the Stones descended
from Simon Stone, the English Puritan immigrant to MA in 1635, I was both
dumbfounded (never thought of myself as even having this kind of "lineage",
nor did any of our family!) and delighted that I could, incidently through
this line, join the DAR. I wanted to do this because it seemed like the best
possible repository for the research I've collected, if anyone after me ever
wonders about our roots, as I did. I may be long gone before the "bug" bites
any of my grandchildren, or neices' grandchildren, etc.

It's a wonderful service, as a genealogist, to be able to check with the DAR
or SAR register and see if you might have one of the ancestors you are
researching listed there. It's a wonderful bonus if you find something, for
a mere $5 to a copy of the application papers, outlining all of
that research for you. Having labored so long in uncharted territory, I don't
want what I've done to all go to waste, and DAR is so well-known and such a
centralized entity, it seemed prudent for me to join for posterity.

Also, I'd get to use their reseasrch library for free, another perk.

Other opinions on this?

Michelle Stone in Vienna, VA

This thread: