GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 1999-01 > 0916071027

From: Bill Burrows <>
Subject: Re: Un-citely sites
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:10:27 -0500

At 03:34 AM 1/11/99 -0800, Joan wrote:
>Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:35:13 EST
>Subject: Un-citely sites
>
>You who are putting up new web sites or who are updating them for the new year
>--
>
>Do you know what the largest single complaint is about the dozens of new
>websites offered to genealogical researchers?
>
>Not citing sources!! Results of a recent poll on using internet rescues put
>this complaint on the top of the list! It also is the biggest single factor
>in rejecting sites nominated for the prestigious Siggy award from USIGS. No
>citing -- no citation.
> ---------------------- rest of message deleted --------------------

Sorry that I cannot agree with this idea.

I felt I should respond to this entreaty. My website does not have source
citations
because I conciously left them out but offered them to anyone who had a valid
*non-commercial* interest. I did not want all my research appearing on the FTM
CD's (formerly Broderbund, now Mattell toy company - do your genealogy
research at
Barbie.com?).

My interest is in sharing information with other researchers - not getting
an award
from the USIGS!

Bill
*** Bill Burrows ***