GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 2003-04 > 1051122644

From: "Jimmy" <>
Subject: Re: Chambers Street - Records
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:30:44 -0400

Hi Kathy,

When are you coming to NYC?
The muni-archives on chambers street is a must, and I am there often myself. It's $5.00 to use the facilities all day, and I have seen it get kind of crowded on occasion, but never so bad that there isn't room. Of course the earlier you get there, the better, as it's becoming more popular, as genealogy catches on, more and more.

The subways are all nearby, even across the street, depending on where you are going. Don't try to get a cab out of there near rush hours!

You must hit the genealogy library in the main New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, between 40th and 42nd streets. Incredible for your research. Before you go, you might want to search the NYPL's on-line catalogue, and copy down, or printout, those books, manuscripts etc. that you might want to call for. (need call # etc.) This is what I do ahead of time before going there. You can get the on-line catalogue at: http://catnyp.nypl.org/ .

Also a must, for New York State Research is The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society
which is at: http://www.nygbs.org/

As far as a place to stay, well there are a million of 'em here. Prices have come down since 9/11, but they are still pretty varied. The NYGBS used to hold weeklong seminars in the spring, and have places to stay at reduced rates, for it's members and attendees. Try them out!

Good luck and enjoy!
Jimmy Ogilvie
New York City