GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 2003-08 > 1060274260

From: "Robert Sullivan" <>
Subject: Re: Oswego Historian
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:41:32 -0400

> http://www.oswegodailynews.com/
>

> Here is the news article of the cuts in Oswego.
>
> Please, those of you that have not sent an email to Mr. Lyman
concerning
> the town historian, Barbara Dix, please do so.

I might also suggest more generally that if you travel to a place to do
research, it's nice to thank the local library or historical society,
but it's even more important to let those with the money (or those who
can influence them) know that you came specifically for this and spent
money while you were there.

A letter to the mayor, county manager and/or chamber of commerce which
says, "I came to research my family history and I was impressed with the
resources you provide. I stayed 5 days and spent $$$ at your
restaurants and motels. I will tell all the people on the XX county and
state mailing lists about your genealogist-friendly town." might avoid
the need for letters later on to save jobs or funding.

Bob Sullivan <>
Schenectady County Public Library (NY) <http://www.scpl.org/>;
Schenectady Digital History Archive
<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/>;