GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 2007-09 > 1189603731

Subject: Re: [GEN-NYS] Probate 1828 - 1840
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:28:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

David,

It is unlikely that a separate probate file exists in NY. I recently ran across this issue in NY for an individual who died in Illinois, but lived in NY for most of her adult life. Any NY assets listed in a will probated outside the state were probably dealt with by the person who was the executor of the will. Correspondence or public notices in the papers where the assets were located would have been the way to sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of them.

Perhaps a relative or close friend in America made the arrangements for their disposition.

Hope this helps

Rick Porter
Finger Lakes House Histories
Baldwinsville, NY USA