GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 2010-05 > 1273666923

Subject: Re: [GEN-NYS] Turkey, Essex Co. church records
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:22:03 -0400 (EDT)

Carolyn,

Your answer to where the old records are probably lies in 2 parts.

1. Would be to answer when the Church in Turkey/New Providence was formed.
and

2. Was Jonathan Elmer one of the founding members of the Society that built the Church, and do his records survive?

Early Pastors or Ministers often kept their own journals on their participation on marriages, births, and deaths. They sometimes went to the Church, the controlling Association, or to the Historical Society of the Church's denomination. In this case it could be a part of the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. If the survive they could be in a library, university collection or an historical society or historian's office. They may also be uncatalogued which would make searching for them rather difficult.

Sincerely,

Rick Porter
Finger Lakes House Histories