GEN-NYS-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-NYS > 2010-06 > 1276048727

From: "Donna McClure" <>
Subject: Re: [GEN-NYS] Edward Walter HYNDMAN b. cir 1870
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:58:47 -0400

Pam of Queensland, Australia wrote:

Edward Walter HYNDMAN married a distant cousin of mine in the
> state of Victoria, Australia in 1912.

> On his marriage record, his birth place is listed as NY - which
> I'm thinking is New York, either State or City.

> His death record in New South Wales in 1937 gives his age as
> 66,
> which would mean a birth year of around 1870, give or take a bit.

Can someone tell me how I go about researching birth records for
> NY State around 1870 please?

Pam, New York State began statewide registrations of births, marriages, and
deaths in 1880-81, but there wasn't full compliance until about 1900. Some
larger cities such as New York City and Albany began before that.

Here's some links about vital records information in NY State:

http://www.archives.nysed.gov/a/research/res_topics_gen_vitalstats.shtml
http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/genealogy/vitrec.htm
http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/

I've been trying to research some possible connection to Queensland (in
particular, Brisbane) of some cousins in my Salm line that left
Wuerttemberg. Since I'm outside Albany, NY, I can relate to how difficult
long distance research can be. Good luck on your search.

Donna M. McClure
Guilderland, NY

This thread: