GEN-TRIVIA-ENG-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-ENG > 2004-03 > 1079744975

From: Glennis <>
Subject: Re: [TRIVVIES] Latin
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:09:46 -0800 (PST)

How about this from Liza Picard's Dr. Johnson's London (1740-1770)

Lord Chesterfield's 'Letters to His Son and Others", wrote "I knew a gentleman who was so good a manager of his time, that he would not even lose that small portion of it which the calls of nature obliged him to spend in the necessary-house; but gradually went through all the Latin poets, in those moments. He bought, for example, a common edition of Horace, of which he tore off gradually a couple of pages, carried them with him to that necessary place, read them first, then sent them down as a sacrifice to Cloacina (Roman goddess of excrement); and I recommend you to follow his example. It is better than doing only what you cannot help doing at these moments; and it will make any book which you shall read in that manner very present in your mind."

Glennis..:-)

Do you Yahoo!?