GEN-TRIVIA-ENG-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-ENG > 2005-03 > 1110862944

From: "PJK :o\)\)" <>
Subject: Re: [TRIVVIES] occupations
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:02:59 -0000

No, I went to a normal secondary school. But don't forget, I come across a lot of *strange* occupations while transcribing for FreeCEN.

Pat.xxx :o))
A Maid of Kent, UK.
Your county needs YOU !!! http://FreeCEN.rootsweb.com
Looking for ancestors in Kent ? Try: http://www.kent-opc.org.uk/

Ain't you clever. Did you go to Grammar School Pat?

DiDi

--

I would imagine the public mangler is someone who worked in a laundry,
pressing wet clothes through a mangle.

A SAGGAR is a fireclay container, usually oval or round, used to protect
pottery from marking by flames and smoke during firing in a bottle oven.

The SAGGARMAKER, is a skilled man, producing the finished saggar, using his
thumb to make a near join between the side and the base.

The BOTTOM KNOCKER (a young boy) made the base of the saggar from a lump of
fireclay which he knocked into a metal ring using a wooden mallet or mawl
(pronounced mow).

Pat.xxx :o))
A Maid of Kent, UK.
Your county needs YOU !!! http://FreeCEN.rootsweb.com
Looking for ancestors in Kent ? Try: http://www.kent-opc.org.uk/

Dear Trivvies:

Here are 2 that I wrote down - I don't know when or
where. But is there anyone who knows what is a

public mangler

sagger maker's bottom knocker

????

hugs Sharla

RANDOM TAGLINE - GEN-TRIVIA-ENG - MAILING LIST
Before you sent your mail -
Please cut out as much of previous messages as is appropriate - and
Please change the Subject Line if the Topic has changed.