GEN-TRIVIA-ENG-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-ENG > 2006-07 > 1153493505

From: "Geo." <>
Subject: From THE CUMBERLAND PACQUET and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser, April 22, 1777 / POSTS FROM LONDON GAZETTE
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:51:45 +0800

Posted with permission of the transcriber, Barb. Baker.

Geo.

TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY's POSTS From the LONDON GAZETTE.
A M E R I C A

BALTIMORE, JAN. 30

The following is an extract of a letter from GENERAL WASHINGTON to the Congress, dated Jan. 22, 1777.

" My Last was on the 20th inst. since that I have the pleasure to inform you, that GENERAL DICKINSON, with about 400 militia, had defeated a foraging part of the enemy of an equal number, and has taken forty waggons, and upwards of 100 horses, most of them of the English draught breed, and a number of sheep and cattle which they had collected.

The enemy retreated with so much precipitation, that GENERAL DICKINSON had only an opportunity of making 9 prisoners; they were obliged to carry off a great many dead and wounded in light waggons.

The action happened near Somerset Court house on Milltson river. GENERAL DICKINSON's behaviour reflects the highest honour upon him, for though his troops were all raw, he led them through the river, middle deep, and gave the enemy so severe a charge, that although supported by three field pieces, they gave way, and left their convoy.

Published by order of the Congress.

C. THOMPSON, Secretary "