GEN-TRIVIA-ENG-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-ENG > 2007-02 > 1171869483

From: Howard Fuller <>
Subject: Re: [TRIVVIES] medieval spelling and wot be these words.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:18:03 +0000

Roz,

A 'droon' is undoubtedly a 'drone' - as in the bass pipe in a set of
bagpipes. Scottish pronunciation. Compare: 'croon' for 'crown'.

I have not found 'sheppert' - but since the context appears to be of
musical instruments, I wonder it could be a shortened reference to a
'shepherd's pipe'.

The OED implies that 'desare' is a form of 'dis-heir', one who is
'dis-herited'. An obsolete word! So the quote says: "...in reward to a
disinherited person who played the shepherd's pipe before the Queen".

Howard

> hi trivvies
> i need someone with an artistic background to help decipher some words
>
> droon and desare and sheppert.
> is a sheppert an instrument, or a shepherd?
>
> here they are in the context that i found them.
>
> thanks
> roz
>
> March 23, Itm....to a Mynstrell that played upon a droon before the
> Quene at Richemount in rewarde ----------iij s. iiiij. d
>
> Oct.16, ...in rewarde to a disare that played the Sheppert before the
> Quene ---------- iij s. iiij d

This thread: