GEN-TRIVIA-ENG-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-ENG > 2007-10 > 1192809489

From: "Geo." <>
Subject: [TRIVVIES] Topic for October: Home Cures, Pills and Potions
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 23:58:09 +0800

Transcribed by Barb. Baker.

Geo.

THE CUMBERLAND PACQUET, September 3, 1793 / Dr. Waite's Celebrated Worm Medicine.

A Fresh Parcel received by the Printer of this Paper.

DOCTOR WAITE's CELEBRATED WORM MEDICINE.

In the Form of GINGERBREAD NUTS.

FAITHFULLY prepared from the Original Recipe, in the Possession of J. EVANS,
No. 42, Long-Lane, West Smithfield, London; and W. HOWARD, Reading, Berks.
By whom also it is sold at 1s. 1-1/2d the Packet (containing Thirteen Nuts)
Stamp included.

N.B. Those prepared by R. MASON, of Sodbury, and sold by J. SCOTT, No. 427,
Strand, are not the Genuine Medicine of the late DR. WAITE, but spurious
Imitations.

The Proprietors of the above Medicine beg Leave to submit to the Public, as
a Proof of the superior Efficacy of this Genuine Medicine, the following:

"WHITNEY, March 17, 1793.

"SIR,
"Among the numerous Instances that have come to my Knowledge, of the
Efficacy of your incomparable Worm Medicine in the Cure of great Numbers of
Complaints we communicate the following: EDWARD ROLLINS, of this Place,
having for a considerable Time been afflicted with an acute Pain in his
Stomach, which defeated the Power of every Remedy prescribed, was advised to
make Trial of your Worm Medicine; in Consequence, he bought of me one
Packet, which he took according to your Directions; and which brought away
a very large Worm, at least Eleven Inches in Length; since which Time he
has been free from the Pain in his Stomach, and his Health perfetly
re-established.
I am, Sir,
Your most humble
Servant,
WILLIAM
TURNER.

To Mr. JOHN EVANS,
No. 42, Long-lane,
West Smithfield, London.

The above valuable Medicine is also sold by Appointment of the Proprietors ,
by the following Persons, viz.

WILSON, SPENCE AND CO., York;
THOMAS LEES, AND CO. and W. RAWSON AND CO. Printers, Hull;
SOLOMON HODGSON, and EDWARD HUMBLE, jun. Newcastle upon Tyne;
WILLIAM APPLETON, Darlington;
JAMES GRAHAM, Sunderland;
LEWIS PENNINGTON, Durham;
MISS READ, Milliner, Banff;
W. KELLY, N. Shields;
GRAHAM AND SMITH, Alnwick;
W. PHORSON, Berwick;
J. ANDERSON, Aberdeen;
R. MORRISON AND SON, Perth;
ANGUS M'DONALD, Glasgow;
J. ARBUTHNOT, Peterhead;
MACKINTOSH AND CO., Inverness;
and by
J. BAXTER;
AT THE ITALIAN WAREHOUSE, South Bridge, Edinburgh;
AND BY ONE PERSON AT LEAST IN EVERY CITY AND CONSIDERABLE TOWN IN GREAT
BRITAIN AND IRELAND.

This thread: