GEN-TRIVIA-ENG-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-ENG > 2011-10 > 1319973754

From: anne caroline pittard <>
Subject: Re: [TRIVVIES] Calling the 40 plus sitting thinking ...
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 22:22:34 +1100

Ok Marlene. I'm still looking for the origins of my great granpa, Charles Sylvester SMITH. (Yes, groan all you wish but that, as far as I know, was his surname) His marriage & death certs both say born Sydney. He died 1884 in Balmain, NSW at 56yrs so would've been born around 1829ish. There are no Charles SMITH births registered between 1827 & 1832. He was a master mariner but he is not listed on the register of master mariners in NSW, not sure about Vic. His ships Ashburton
& Mindanara are registered. I have a copy of his will. He married Eliza Ann ROBERTSON in 1870 in Sydney & they had 6 sons. He married Mm, can't think, RALF/ROFF in 1855 in Sydney, they had no kids but she died from peurpural infection 1865. Charles & Eliza lived on the Ashburton until their 2nd child was born, she lived at Watsons Bay then Balmain probably near his anchorage. There is a family story about a baby born to convict parents on a convict ship in Sydney Cove but no one knows which generation this baby was from, but definitely a SMITH. I can give more details. Thankyou all. Cheers. Annie. from Cairns, Aus. Warm & dry tonight.