GEN-TRIVIA-SCOTLAND-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-TRIVIA-SCOTLAND > 2002-01 > 1010881301

From: "Pat R" <>
Subject: Re: [Scot] Pipers at funerals
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:21:41 -0800

Thank you for this information, Dave
It was a most moving ceremony with the pipers, one at the front of the
church and one at the back, playing Amazing Grace. By the time I had the TV
on, the ceremony was underway so I don't know if they escorted Chapman's
body into the church just prior to the service. At the point in the service
where Amazing Grace was played, first we were shown the piper in the front,
then the piper more towards the doors was shown. After a bit, the
congregation was asked to sing and the pipers stepped out of view (or the
cameramen changed their target). I can't remember at just what point it was,
but it was before the service was over, a contingent of seven Green Berets
gave Sgt Chapman a 21-gun salute. They were standing just in front of the
church. As the casket was carried from the church by six or eight Green
Berets, the piper lead the way. We didn't get to see the burial ceremony
except for a brief clip and I don't think we were shown pipers. As for those
Green Berets, I'd put my life in their hands any day.
As for the Marines, God Bless them. They took my out of control 19 year old
son who was on the verge of heading to hell in a handbasket and made 'one
good man' out of him. Boot camp wasn't hard enough, he loved the
camaraderie, it brought out all the good things in him. He didn't stay in,
but it flavored the course of his life and for that I thank God. I would
guess that you are one of them, thank your for your service.
Pat