GENANZ-L ArchivesArchiver > GENANZ > 1999-08 > 0933806114
From: Patricia Jungwirth< >
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 08:35:14 +1000
Recently somebody mentioned an interest in Zevenboom - I've misplaced their
address - sorry - have to post to the list.
Ferny Creek - just up the hill from Upwey, in the beautiful Blue Dandenongs.
Here's some reference to Zevnboom taken from The Story of the Dandenongs by
Helen Coulson ( Cheshire 1959)
the book tells us that:
Zevenboom was a Berwick shire councillor for 1874, 75, & 76.
The following is a direct quote:
John Zevenboom, founder of the Melbourne brushware business, and William
Dean, partner in the city paint firm, W. and G. Dean, settled on land at
Upwey about the same period. Wm. Dean purchased a holding of 80 acres at a
Crown land sale held on 24 August I875, and at that time improvements valued
at 555 pounds stood on the property (named Forest Park by Dean), such
improvements indicating that the land had been settled prior to the sale.
In 1903 the holding was bought by John Griffiths, Melbourne tea merchant,
whose home was situated in Normanby Road, Kew. The family visited Upwey
regularly and I. Griffiths played a leading part in the foundation of
district Churches. John Zevenboom purchased his 82-acre property (today
known as Kooringal) at a sale of Crown land held on 2I March I876 and at
that time improvements valued at 1105 pounds stood on the property. The
existence of such substantial improvements, undoubtedly the present
Kooringal homestead, indicates that Zevenboom had probably occupied the land
under licence several years before the sale.
This was confirmed by early resident George Rutherford, who recalled that
about I873 he visited a house he believed belonged to Zevenboom and as a
small boy was impressed by the solidity of its walls, which were some two
inches thick and filled with sawdust, almost certainly brought from the
brush factory. Zevenboom, a native of Holland, planted seven pines around
his home ("seven pines" is believed to be the literal translation of the
name "Zevenboom") and during his term the property was known as Seven Pine
Today the pines are a feature of this historic property, which originally
embraced land west of Morris Road between Ternes Road and the Ferny Creek.
Zevenboom, a councillor of the Berwick Shire during the 70's, afterwards
sold the property to Robert Mills and later again Canon Girdlestone, former
headmaster of St. Peter's College, Adelaide, became the owner. In 1909 L. T.
Chambers of the Cyclone Gate and Fence Company bought the property, later
purchased by D. W. Bell. Today Kooringal (said to mean "camping place on a
hill") is owned by J.J. Graham.
It is interesting to know that Zevenboom originally gained access to his
property by crossing Callanan's selection adjoining Glenfern Road towards
Fern Tree Cully, owing to the fact that present Ternes Road--then completely
overgrown--was the only outlet afforded by surveyors responsible for the
Parish of Scoresby. During Mills' term at Kooringal he used a private road
through Dean's Forest Park, but this was closed every few years to prevent
it becoming a public road.
When Kooringal and Forest Park were subdivided during the 30s the present
access roads bearing those names were surveyed to provide a more suitable
outlet, and the wisdom of this move is demonstrated by the recent growth in
the vicinity of Forest Park, which threatens to become a suburb of Upwey.
Records of land sales indicate that Dean and Zevenboom were the only
original owners south of present Upwey to purchase their land by public
auction, all remaining Crown grantees securing land "on application" to the
Lands Department, records of which are difficult to trace. The first
available Berwick Shire Rate Book (I875) lists the names of John Henderson,
and Patrick and Jas. Ryan as other owners of land in the vicinity at that
period. John Henderson's selection, known as Torry Hill, adjoined the Ferny
Creek in the vicinity of existing Torry Hill Road, and Henderson remained
owner of this 40 acres for many years.
Patrick and James Ryan selected 160 acres south of the Monbulk Creek (see
"Lysterfield") in the no-man's-land where Tecoma, Upwey, Belgrave Heights
and Lysterfield meet. The only access afforded them by surveyors was a road
following a straight line from the Monbulk Creek to Wellington Road. The
route traversed steep boulder-strewn country and was impassable, with the
result that the Ryan family (and a later owner, R. H. McNichol) gained
access to Glenfern Road by passing through Robert Nixon's land into Nixon's
Lane, the road between present F. B. Preston's property and E. Kennon's Burn
Brae. The practice continued until Nixon's property became controlled by
Alfred Brandt, when McNichol, C. T. Alexander and others left without access
gave sufficient land to form present McNichol Road, Tecoma.
|ZEVENBOOM by Patricia Jungwirth< >|