GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-02 > 1045017239

From: "William T. Flight" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Problems with places
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:34:11 -0500

> Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is my problem in many cases. I'd
> already figured that out and am in the process of fixing them. The
> Mountain View example (and a very few others) seem to be different.
> Mountain View is the city. The next step up the hierarchy is correct -
> Howell County is listed as a County/Parish. I think maybe the import is
> looking at the name on each level and is trying to figure out what it is
> a name of - all my churches moved into Local Site/Church Religious
> correctly (don't remember the exact wording - I'm at work). So what I
> think happened is the import routine saw "View" and assumed it was a
> local site - possibly a lookout point or some such.

Hi Joe,

I looked at the routine, and it is actually "Mountain" that makes it think
it is a local site. I think the correct solution in this case is to take
that keyword out, as city names do, in fact, include that word.

> I need to look at
> the GEDCOM and see if I can fix it by hand before I import. I'll let
> you know if that works.

I'm not sure what could be 'fixed' in the GEDCOM in this particular case...

-- Bill

William T. Flight
http://www.thoughtfulcreations.com