GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-03 > 1046568537

From: "wim prange" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] GenBox Feedback
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 02:28:57 +0100

Hi Anne,

GenBox has an hierarchical scheme for Places/Locations. It's a bit difficult
to "slot" them place but once you've done that it is a great feature.
Placenames in Genbox can have namevariations (each variation with it's own
historical hierarchy as well!).
One of the great things is that when you are in your places view you can
select a local site (for instance a farm) and be able to see what has happened
at that farm during the ages and still be able to use the original name when
selecting it as a location in an event.

I can recommend to play with GenBox for a week or so (at least!) to fully
appreciate it's capabalities. Not only for Locations, but also for Sources,
different Templates, Events etc. It really is an amazing program.

Several of us have litterally fallen in love with it.

As to your Nord Trøndelag / NordtrøNdelag conversion. In View > Preferences is
an option to turn off "Convert to Initial Caps". GenBox is an American product
and they use a different language-code table. I think this table didn't
understand your ø and thought is was a space (I think). It is strange though
that it pasted Nord and Tr to eachother.
Until now I've (I'm Dutch) discovered one more issue with international
languagecode-tables in Source Templates. It can be resolved in Access. When
you want to alter your Templates to Norwegian equivalents and the same happens
to you I can recommend to do that in Access.

The programmers have said that they will look into it so maybe it will be
resolved soon.

Wim